Thursday, January 19, 2017

The Good and the Bad

A8 charging light
Sweat flap on right side
The day did not start well as I had trouble pairing the new Parasom A8 earbuds with my iPod. It was fully charged last night but didn't seem charged this morning. And it was impossible to pair. I have other gripes about it: the power indicator light is positioned in a difficult to see spot, and the sweat flap should hinge on the opposite side of the cord. The way it exists now makes it very difficult to insert the micro USB charging cable. Instead, I grabbed the U8s from yesterday and used those at the gym today. This evening, I took the precaution of pairing the A8s ahead of time. It comes with a fancy round black zipper case, which the company seems very proud of, but I wish they'd spend less time and money on packaging, and more on functional design. We'll see how they hold up tomorrow. I am skeptical that the battery will last based on my limited experience to date.

I am happy that my Sony MDR-J20s have arrived. Finally! I plugged them in just to test them, and they sound marvelous, even if they have that annoying uneven cord that connects the earbuds to the tether to the music. They're my back up headphones! I bought two pairs because I can't stand the updated version: the hard plastic ear hanger piece hurts after a while! But I confess, I do have very sensitive ears, especially the right side. It probably doesn't help that I can twitch my ears as well... just being able to manipulate certain scalp muscles that run near the top of the ear itself.

The promises to be drier and warmer than it's been. The gym is still crowded! I do manage to get on my favorite cross-trainer. I hate it when people leave their half-drunk beverages behind. Yuck! I look around before tossing a water bottle that's one third full of something red... not water. Not sure why people feel the need to eat candy or drink shakes or Gatorade or Vitamin Water while pedaling. It's not like they're working out that hard. Seriously.

I'm actually sore from yesterday so I guess that's good, but it does make me a little worried that I won't be able to do a reasonable amount of pull ups. I shouldn't've worried because I got my 35 and a half. Again, the problem with making gains is that you worry you'll fail the next time. At first I struggled with just a dozen pull ups. Then I was happy making it to 26. Then 31. Now I'm working on 36. When will it end!? Kidding...

I skip core today. I skip regular push ups. I just want to see if I can do 50 Hindu push ups. It's a struggle and I have to pause at rep 40, then rep 45. But I actually get my 50. Yaaay me! I do have to watch my down glide as the first time I just about kissed the mat with my lower lip. Yuck! It's a Light Push Day so only a few sets of Smith Inclined Presses. But regular sets for DB Laterals superset with Reverse Inclined Flyes. I skip Rip Skulls because I caught a glimpse of me in the hall mirror again. Relaxed, and my triceps are enormous. What I need to work on is some balance so I do some Drag Curls, and then Reverse Grip BB Curls. While the weights are fairly light, the reps add up and there's definitely a burn. I finish with 30 minutes on the elliptical doing Intervals. Afterwards, I can't resist and get another set of pull ups before showering.

Has she been photoshopped into this?
Once I get home, I browse the mail. I spot the most ridiculous contraption I've ever seen: a combo exercise bike and desk. Uh, what?! It's got bizarre distorted proportions and I can't imagine anyone actually buying this, much less using it and not getting a back ache. Okay, I could see my mother buying something like this... but she was a QVC junkie, and when she passed, we had to get rid of a lot of unopened boxes of stuff. Sigh.

Tomorrow I plan to whack the machine. I hope my earbuds hold up. But I'll have back ups in my gear bag just in case...

Thursday
6.52 total cardio miles

30 min x-trainer
Calories 143
Miles 3.86
Average Speed 7.72
Average Pace 7:46

HGPU 35.5
Knee-Ins 50
Hindu Push Ups 50

Smith Inclined Press
12 x Bar (30), 50, 70, 80

DB Laterals s/s Rev Inclined Flyes
25 lbs x 12/15 x 3

BB Drag Curls
40 lbs x 12 x 3

BB Reverse Curls
30 lbs x 21 reps x 3

30 min elliptical
Intervals
Calories 304
Miles 2.66

HGPU 36

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...