Saturday, January 28, 2017

Happy Year of the Fire Rooster

It's Chinese New Year, aka, the Spring Festival, which traditionally lasts for 2 weeks. It's also the start of the Year of the Fire Rooster, which is suppose to reward hard work and patience. Uh, we'll see. I've got a pot roast in the slow cooker today, but last night we went out for Chinese food. Of course my son and husband ordered sushi, but I got dumplings and noodles. Traditionally, you eat dumplings for wealth because the meat-filled dough symbolizes coin purses of money, and you eat long noodles for longevity. Yes, lots of superstition among the Chinese... but it's fun.

Yesterday I whacked the Nexersys kickboxing machine for 15 rounds. Not continuously as I always take a few minutes between each session to wipe the sweat off my face and blow my nose. I knew my accuracy wasn't going to be stellar when I managed to loosen the right pad of the machine with an excellent Cross during the Beginner rounds. Oh well... And then the machine got me back by not registering some of my blows. I did blank the machine a few times as well. But I'm always happy when I'm able to draw up enough energy for the final round and really whack the machine. I always feel as if I've won no matter how the machine scores, (instead of walking away exhausted and beaten). That in itself energizes me for the next exercise — elliptical.

I don't have a lot of time so I only do 20 minutes of Performance Program 3. Then I stretch a little, and grab the roof bars for pull ups. I can only get to 36. Only. Strangely, even though my shoulder and elbow bother me when I wake up, they don't pose any problems while I'm actually exercising. It might be the adrenaline and endorphins, or it might be just that activity helps with the soreness. I know that movement helps with anxiety, and I feel much calmer when I leave the gym. Maybe I'm just too tired to care?

Anxiety (and self-medication) seems to be on the rise according to all the media. Overwhelming stress causes us all to seek relief in an assortment of ways, from non-stop gaming to food and alcohol addictions, prescription medications and meditations... Some days, I think back wistfully to when life was so much simpler, when the future seemed inevitably bright. But there's no turning back the clock to when healthcare was affordable and a savings account actually accrued interest. Even though we have health insurance, we can't really afford to use it (even for routine items) due to the high deductibles. Chain stores are laying off employees. For Sale signs dot the residential landscape. Tolls and fares are rising. Now, I keep my doubts to myself, and hope for the best because I don't want to pass my anxiety on to my son. An Alberta Clipper promises to drop more weather on us next week. My hubs will be in Houston, then Boston. At least the dog is feeling better...

Friday Workout

10 min elliptical
Calories 92
Miles 0.82

Nexersys
5r Beginner
5r Intermediate
5r Advance

20 min elliptical
Program 3
Calories 186
Miles 1.66

HGPU 36





Photos posted for actual stats:




No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...