Monday, January 23, 2017

Taking Gainz Where I Can

The weather people have been banging the drum about a monster storm roiling in from the Atlantic. After school activities got cancelled and we all braced ourselves for the ensuing panic. A Winter Weather Advisory was issued for 1 pm today until 7 am tomorrow. At 1 pm, it was cold and the air was damp. Occasionally, a bitter gust would shake trees. The AccuWeather phone app showed a complete disconnect between reality and forecast when it announced "wintry mix starting in 1 minute" at 3 pm. But readings for Carmel NY showed only cloudy skies with no precipitation slated until 5 pm. At 5, we saw some drizzle although my son and I had seen a rare snow flake or two throughout the day. Still, I'm glad that kung fu got cancelled and we're all home now.

I got to the gym a bit late because I wanted to drop off my Amazon return to the UPS store. I hadn't realized that as soon as UPS scans the prepaid label, Amazon is notified and I get credited for the return! For most every other time I've returned items (to a non-Amazon seller), I've had to pay for return shipping myself (LLBean offers return labels but takes $6.50 from your refund) or walk it into a store (Land's End returns at Sears in the Mall), and I usually only get an email weeks later confirming a credit to my account. Yes, Amazon has created an amazing online retail structure that is just a little scary in its efficiency.

The gym is really crowded for a Monday morning, as if school had been totally cancelled, which it wasn't. Not even early dismissal. Perhaps college boys don't have to return to school yet? I get on the wonkier cross-trainer for 30 minutes. My left hip and knee are out of sorts today. And there's a twinge in my right shoulder. I might've slept funny. Or maybe it's the weather? For the first 20 minutes, my left foot aches slightly in arch. Weird. Once it relaxes and settles, my right foot starts to tingle at the ball joint, and then my toes go numb with only 4 minutes to go. Ugh!

Once I get to the Stretch Cage, I start to question my confidence. Did I really get to 39, or just barely make it to 29? I get to 36, but struggle with the last rep. Okay, that's a half. It seems more and more likely that I actually did make it to 39 reps last week. But why? I have cut back on cardio. Usually that just makes me bulk faster. But I've also started adding Hindu push ups to my core warm up. My lats and rear delts have been unusually sore on the days following Hindu push ups, and it's rare for me to get sore these days. I'm not really doing anything else differently, but I have noticed that I'm a lot hungrier. Especially right before getting to the gym. I'm so used to working out on just a cup of coffee (with sugar and half'n half), that it seems odd to realize I actually used to eat oatmeal for breakfast. And not just oatmeal, but oatmeal with an egg and maple syrup. I might have to start that again...

Knowing that my shoulder isn't 100 percent makes me add different push ups to my core warm up. I have to pause at rep 40, and again at rep 45 for Hindus. But I add T-push ups and One-Leg push ups afterwards. The One-Legs are really easy so I put them at the end, when I'm tired. Only a few sets of Smith Inclined Benching because shoulders are delicate. I see The Mayor, but I can't actually hear him. Maybe he's finally learned to use his "inside voice"? Delt and tricep work are routine. I've got an eye on the clock because I'm trying to leave by 1 pm just in case the weather folks were right.

This means I skip the 2nd round of cardio even though all the ellipticals are finally vacant. But I do get in another set of pull ups. Ugh! I'm starting to rely on kipping a little at the end. Not good. But I do make it to 37 reps. I don't usually kip because it's a movement born of desperation and fatigue. (I know it counts in CrossFit, but I'm not a CFer so I don't want to make a habit of it.) Then a quick Mat stretch, down and dirty. The Mayor is chatting with RealEstate Girl the entire time. I can't imagine what he talks about, and I've never been interested enough to listen. I see a few other regulars like Chatty Guy (but without Venus) and Shaggy. No one really worth looking at. Oh well... Tomorrow's a Pull Day, and I dread them. Absolutely dread those RDLs because nothing takes your breath away like that. Maybe I should cut my reps? Twelve per set is a lot, right?

Monday Workout

30 min x-trainer
Calories 132
Miles 3.44

HGPU 36.5
Knee-Ins 50
Hindu Push Ups 50
Crunches 3 x 50
T-Push Ups 25
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s
Side Planks 2 x 60s
One-Leg Push Ups 2 x 25

Smith Inclined Bench
12 x Bar (30), 50, 70, 80 lbs
60 lbs x 25

DB Laterals s/s Rev Flyers
25 lbs x 12/15 x 3

Rip Skulls
40 lbs x 12 x 3

HGPU 37

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...