Monday, January 30, 2017

When Your Body Rebels Against You

Before the crowds arrive
There's an unfortunate truth to the adage "One step forward, two steps back." Or is it "Two steps forward, one step back"? Because it definitely feels like the former. I added Hindu push ups to my workout warm up, and I immediately saw unexpected results, as in an increase in my pull ups. It's pretty cool to move from 31 to 36, and sometimes even 39 reps where once I struggled with 12. But, this has come at a cost: my right shoulder is not happy. It doesn't bother me too much when I'm actually exercising. But the fact that it aches when I'm not even using it is troubling. I'm stubborn, but not stupid. So no more Hindu push ups for now. I've also had to nix planks for now because I haven't figured out a way to do them without stressing my shoulders. I'm not going to stress too much about it though. Pesky joints...

It's nearly noon by the time I get to the gym because I decided the $16 printer ink rebate coupon from Staples was too much money to pass up. It expires tomorrow and the town has already laid down the salt lines for a potential ice storm from the Alberta Clipper. The nearest Staples is in Connecticut, which isn't that far away, but necessitates travel on the highway. I've had two cups of coffee, and the extra caffeine jolts me. I'm already a nervous driver, but today I'm actually fairly aggressive as well. Don't get me wrong. I'm not unsafe, but I don't have time for elderly people who can't do the speed limit, or are afraid to pass trucks on the interstate.

All the cross-trainers are in use except for the ones by the front door. It's chilly enough that I don't want to use any of those machines. Instead, I do 30 min on the elliptical. Then some pull ups. My shoulder aches but not while I'm exercising. I do regular push ups but only go as far as 75. That's enough to warm up my upper bod before doing any sort of pressing movement. I also do some crunches because it's better than not doing any core. Planks are out of the question with this shoulder. It's a bit worrisome that two whole days of inactivity haven't eased the discomfort.

The Smith is empty and I drag the beat up flat bench over. It's the one that needs new vinyl so I don't feel bad putting my feet up on it. I can bench 120 but there is discomfort. Bowing to it, I cut my reps a tad. But I still get my 25 reps at 90 lbs. Maybe I should consider cutting the max weight altogether, and just do more hi-rep sets? I can probably get 25 reps at 100 lbs. Next time... Instead, I swap the flat bench for the adjustable incline and do a few sets. The shoulders not really happy with me at this point. The gym is also starting to fill up with teens. Ugh.

The Mayor must've gotten over his laryngitis because I can hear him through my earbuds. At one point someone at the front desk ups the sound system and all I can hear is a bass line thumping. Grrr. I use one of the Breaker Inclined Benches for the Reverse Inclined Flyes. The 25 lb DBs feel heavy and make my forearms ache a little. Two HS boys are draped over the DB rack while alternating between DB Rows and Curls. Newbies with bad manners. I'm really happy to be done after the Rip Skulls. But I debate whether I should do another set of pull ups, or just stretch a little. I go for the latter, but that's a mistake.

I'm much safer if I do a Mat Stretch after coming off cardio since I'm much more limber. Doing Push work doesn't do anything for the lower half, and the Mat Stretch was a bit tight. I always wind up with a bit of tenderness in the inside left quad when I don't follow protocol. You'd think I'd know better by now! I should've just done pull ups and called it a day. Oh well... there's always tomorrow, but of course, there might be another Tuesday icy road conditions necessitating the cancellation of after-activities. My son certainly hopes so. Otherwise he's stuck at school until 4 pm, not that he doesn't enjoy playing chess. But he'd much rather be at home. Plugged in. Sigh...


Monday Workout

30 min elliptical
Program 1
Calories 292
Miles 2.57

HGPU 36
Knee-Ins 50
Push Ups 75
Crunches 3 x 50

Smith Flat Bench
Bar (30 lbs) x 15
12 x 80
11 x 100
10 x 120
25 x 90

Smith Inclined Bench
12 x Bar, 50, 70, 80

DB Laterals s/s Rev Incl Flyes
25 lbs x 12/15 x 3

Rip Skulls
40 lbs x 12 x 3



No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...