Monday, November 16, 2015

It looks like the type of car
cops want to give tickets to... Uh oh.
I'm only at the gym this week for 3 days, starting today. So I was a bit bummed at how long it took to drop off my car at the body shop, and then pick up a rental car. They're very nice at Enterprise car rentals, and oddly busy, with people seeking to rent or return cars for pleasure. I've never even considered doing that. Instead, I wait for a car of appropriate size to be returned and cleaned. It's a Chrysler 200. Never heard of it. It's black and sleek and very new, with push-button ignition, automatic headlamps, and doors that automatically lock when the car senses you are in motion. I haven't figured out the rear backup camera yet. Or rather, I don't quite know how to interpret what I see on the screen and correlate it with how far to back up. I'm more comfortable sticking my head out the window because peering over my shoulder is impossible. There's just not enough room to see between the headrest and the doorframe.

Once I figured out how to drive my car, and properly adjust my seat so I can reach the pedals and the steering wheel, I drive to the gym. It's nearly noon and the gym is virtually empty. Maybe because it's a nicer day than was forecast? I do 30 min on the cross-trainer but I'm distracted by emails darting back and forth about the Cub Scouts upcoming Blue & Gold awards brunch next March. Because my husband is away so often, I've become the de facto Den leader for our Den. Consequently, I'm trying to bring a lagging scout and his family up to speed so that he does not become the only Scout not to transition, or receive the Arrow of Light, one of the few awards a Cub Scout brings with him to his new Boy Scout Troop. That's my excuse for not making 4 miles on the first leg of a Monday.
From  there I do my push ups and planks.

Today's Selfie
I consider pull ups but think better of it. Maybe next week? I still don't have an answer as to why pull ups cause my gallbladder such pain. Changing from regular push ups to knuckle push ups, AND cutting reps from 100 to 50, gives me more energy to spend on the rest of my routine: Diamond Push Ups (which are akin to close-grip benching), 3 sets of 2 minute planks, Dand Push Ups, and One-Leg Push Ups. I do change my Bird Dog planks so that only the first two 30 second planks are bent knee. The second two are with a straight leg on the ground. It makes the plank a lot harder to balance! There's also no rest between the 30 second sets so it's basically one long continuous 2 minute plank with 30 second components.

I notice that the Max Rack seems slightly askew but the bar can be pushed back into alignment. I do a few sets of RG BB Rows and then move directly to DB Laterals superset with Reverse Incline Flyes. I want to work delts before they're too tired. Then I do just 3 sets of One-Arm Seated Cable Rows. It's getting really late, and surprisingly there are few to no HS boys here. 3 sets of Drag Curls are good enough with 50 lbs for me to do 15 reps. But I only do 1 set of RG BB Curls, 25 reps. My forearm twinges a bit and I don't want to suffer any damage, especially since I plan to whack the machine tomorrow. I've been doing this long enough to know that I'll be sufficiently recovered to have a decent workout with the Nexersys.

I've seen some of the Rousey-Holmes fight over the weekend, and read of Rousey's unexpected defeat from a kick to the head that purportedly broke her jaw. Rousey never defended herself because she's probably never had to. And Holmes had excellent form and control. I can't find out how much money they made, but learn that Featherweights are 135 lbs (and under), and Strawweights are 115 lbs. (Bantam and Fly are in between those two.) Everyone fights at the edge of their division weight, to maximize muscle mass, while just making their weight class. I'd rather kickbox the machine -- it doesn't punch back. But the fight makes a good argument for endurance as well as strength training.

I always end with 30 minutes on the elliptical. Today I use Fitness Performance Program #2. Friday I'll do Intervals. I'm looking forward to smacking and kicking the Nexersys tomorrow. I'll actually get to try out a new item I found at the CVS: a silicone bunion cushion that's suppose to fit over the big toe. I'm hoping it'll work better than the moleskin I've been using. Not sure if I've had the moleskin too long, but there's something wrong when it sticks better to the paper backing than to human skin. However, once I've managed to apply it to my knuckles, the little squares work well to keep my hands from looking like bruised meat. I know tape and cotton wraps alone aren't enough. Some people can get away with just wearing gloves. Not me. But I rarely see anyone box the machines on a regular basis. Perhaps the night crew?

There is an ongoing discussion regarding RBF, and why men, especially men, should keep to themselves and not tell women they don't know to smile. I'm so glad guys don't talk to me at the gym. But I'm also known as "the girl who doesn't talk to anyone." Of course, that's not entirely true. But my friends know me, know that I'm so focused on my workouts that there's no real good reason to interrupt me, unless the gym's on fire. And I appreciate the guys who workout the same. It doesn't lead to any conversations or friendships, but I feel a sense of community, of belonging that is unspoken. Of course, that could all be in my head. Today the gym is mostly empty and it feels like my own personal gym. If it weren't for the fact that I have a lot of things to get done, I'd probably still be there. Kidding. Or not.

Monday Workout
(6.24 miles total cardio)

Steady State
Calorie :   143 CAL
Distance: 3.61 mile
Speed :    7.18 mph
Duration : 00:30:10
Set 1 : 50 Lap/Rep
Elbow : 00:00:30
Straight: 00:00:30
Elbow : 00:00:30
Straight : 00:00:30
Set 1 : 50 Lap/Rep
Left Knee : 00:00:30
Right Knee : 00:00:30
Left Straight : 00:00:30
Right Straight : 00:00:30
Set 1 : 45 Lap/Rep
Left Elbow : 00:00:30
Right Elbow : 00:00:30
Left Straight : 00:00:30
Right Straight : 00:00:30
Left : 50 Lap/Rep
Right : 50 Lap/Rep
202.5
Set 1 : 55x25
Set 2 : 75x25
Set 3 : 95x20
Set 4 : 105x20
Set 5 : 125x15
Set 6 : 135x15
28
Set 1 : 20x12
Set 2 : 20x12
Set 3 : 20x12 SuperSet with
30
Set 1 : 20x15
Set 2 : 20x15
Set 3 : 20x15
Set 1 : 45x12 ea arm
Set 2 : 45x12
Set 3 : 45x12
75
Set 1 : 50x15
Set 2 : 50x15
Set 3 : 50x15
91.67
Set 1 : 50x25
Perf Prgm#2
Calorie :   300 CAL
Distance: 2.63 mile
Duration : 00:30:13

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...