Friday, November 20, 2015

Constructive Uses for Destructive Forces

Post-push-up Selfie
I used to have a much worse temper than I do now, but it does flare up every now and then. I get it from my father. Working out has helped to keep me more or less on an even keel. But sometimes I just can't let things go. Last night, for example. I took my son to his Cub Scout Pack meeting. Badges are awarded once in the Fall and once again in the Spring. My son's Den was going to receive a slew of badges plus Compass Emblems for having completed the entire 20 badge program. Except for one child whose parents just can't seem to get themselves organized. I've spent the past few weeks sending them text messages and emails regarding the status of their son's Webelos rank, to no avail. Meanwhile, I'm still wrestling with another Den leader over the direction of the Blue & Gold banquet this Spring, when our Cub Scouts transition to Boy Scouts. In the middle of all this, I text my hubs some photos of the event, figuring he could enjoy without being actually there.

Instead, he questions me about the guest speaker, a former Army Medic who served in Iraq and Afghanistan. (November is a Veteran's themed meeting.) This fellow was invited by one of the parent's who also serves on the Planning Committee and it's great that someone is willing to take the time to speak to our kids about their experiences. My husband goes on a rant about politics, and all I want to text him back is "Shut up! WTF?!" But I don't. I should've ignored him, but instead I type "Whatever" because it's nicer than what I want to say. And it has the desired effect, but I know he's mad now. Which makes me even more mad.
These handles rotate.
But they're comfortable.

I'm still mad when I wake up this morning. After I get my son off to school, I drive the rental to the gym. I'm stuck with this car until at least next Tuesday because they're waiting for a part. That seems to be standard with Subies. No one ever has what you need in stock. I haven't worked out in two days so I feel a bit stiff. But because I'm still mad, I have a lot more energy. Today I actually make over 7 miles in cardio, and that feels pretty good. My gym has three different types of push up handles and I take the ones that look the most hand-friendly. I'm weirded out by the fact that they rotate but use them anyway. The other handles look like someone wrapped them in tape to make them easier to grip. And I haven't been able to figure out what the ones that look like over-sized picture hanger hooks are for. At least my knuckles have been saved. I'm able to knock out the rest of the routine (push ups and planks) without issue.
Not sure about these handles.

I catch glimpse of myself in the mirrored wall by the Max Rack. My arms are huge! Cool! I stay with a light weight for reps because I notice a very slight twinge in my lower back, and I'd rather be safe than sorry. Perhaps because I'm not worn out from RG BB Rows, the DB Laterals seem easier today even though I'm doing supersets with DB Reverse Flyes. But instead of upping the weight, I add two more sets. Next time I'll consider upping the weights a hair, and will need to grab those magnetic discs from the front desk. One-Arm Seated Cable Rows are a tad harder than I expect but just that means my arms are tired. However, I can still knock out three sets of Drag Curls and RG Curls.

I always do Intervals on Friday, figuring that I should end the week with intense cardio. I've forgotten to charge my iPod but even a sliver of battery life is enough to power my entire workout. I've been eyeing the stretch Cage, and today, after loosening up my hamstrings and quads, I grab hold of the bars in the roof of the Cage and pull myself up. The first dozen feel pretty good. The last two are a little hard, considering I haven't done them in several weeks, and the last time I did, I got horrible pain in abdominals from under the sternum down past my navel. I'm really happy now. What the hell, I'll go for broke! I grab a bosu ball and plant it in front of a Lat Pull Down station. It's been a really long time since I've done these. But it's not an issue. At least I can do one complete set. I don't push my luck though. One set is good for just getting back to it! I'm even able to knock out Pistol Squats on the Mat. It's easier on the flat hard floor but balance is one of the things I like to work on simultaneously with flexibility. It's kind of critical as you age.

The sit up board has a big gouge in the foam under the cracked vinyl. I wonder when the gym will have the benches all re-upholstered? Meanwhile, I'll contemplate doing Lower Ab Knee-Ins, but not today. I have errands to run! The gym scale reads 107.6 lbs which actually surprises me since I've been snacking on chips before bed lately. Chips, cheese, hard cider. I'm probably fat and don't realize it yet, so I've been avoiding my own home scale. I don't want to read the BF measurement. Yet. I text my hubs and we make up over the phone without either of us actually apologizing. Marriage is a series of compromises. And I'm not mad anymore.

Friday Workout
(7.04 miles cardio!)

Steady State
Calorie :   144 CAL
Distance: 4.28 mile
Speed :    8.55 mph
Duration : 00:30:05
Set 1 : 50 Lap/Rep
Elbow : 00:00:30
Straight : 00:00:30
Elbow : 00:00:30
Straight : 00:00:30
Set 1 : 50 Lap/Rep
Bent Knee Left : 00:00:30
Bent Knee Right : 00:00:30
Straight Leg Left : 00:00:30
Straight Leg Right : 00:00:30
Set 1 : 50 Lap/Rep
Elbow Right : 00:00:30
Elbow Left : 00:00:30
Straight Arm Rt : 00:00:30
Straight Arm Lft : 00:00:30
Left Leg : 50 Lap/Rep
Right Leg : 50 Lap/Rep
@ MaxRack
Set 1 : 55x25
Set 2 : 75x25
Set 3 : 95x25
Set 4 : 95x25
Set 5 : 95x25
Set 1 : 20x12
Set 2 : 20x12
Set 3 : 20x12
Set 4 : 20x12
Set 5 : 20x12 SuperSet with
Set 1 : 20x15
Set 2 : 20x15
Set 3 : 20x15
Set 4 : 20x15
Set 5 : 20x15

Set 1 : 45x12
Set 2 : 45x12
Set 3 : 45x12
Set 1 : 50x15
Set 2 : 50x15
Set 3 : 50x15
Set 1 : 50x23
Set 2 : 50x22
Set 3 : 50x22
Intervals
Calorie :   322 CAL
Distance: 2.78 mile
Duration : 00:30:02
Set 1 : 110x15

Set 1 : 12 Lap/Rep
Set 1 : 110x10

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...