Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Shrink-ray Magic

The end of Daylight Savings has made us all grumpier. I see more erratic behavior on the roadways than ever before, and if it's not the antihistamine-haze, then it's the stress of the impending holidays and feeling short-changed of sunlight. Sunny days make us all happier human beings. Today is overcast and chilly, a typical bleak November morning. Thanksgiving is only a few weeks off, and then Christmas will be upon us. I have no idea what I'm getting anyone. Seriously. We have an invitation to visit cousins deep in Jersey for Turkey Day, but I'm already stressed out about driving on the one of the most heavily-traveled holidays of the year. And I'm not the one doing the driving. Did I mention that I tend to overthink most things?

I get to the gym and deposit two 20-roll packages of Charmin Ultra-Soft toilet paper in the cardboard box in the vestibule. For the past several months they were soliciting gently used shoes. This week it's a Food Pantry seeking non-perishables such as canned goods, and toiletries. People don't just need food during the holidays. They need essential items as well. Ever since I had to call Electric Snake two weeks in a row to clear our septic line, I've steered clear of anything but Scott toilet paper. The fellow told me that Charmin was the absolute worse for septic lines. Unfortunately, I'd already purchased two giant packages of the stuff on sale. Now I had a chance to unload it all, to someone's benefit. Oh well...

I don't get warm doing 10 minutes on the elliptical. I have to wrap my hand twice because after I put my gloves on, I find my left hand uncomfortable. Ugh, the tape is a tad too tight. So unstuff, unwrap, and adjust the tape slightly. Better! I'm barely sweating after 5 rounds of Beginner. Today is the day I've decided to do 5 rounds for each level. That will give me a full 60 minutes of kickboxing. It's a lot like Interval training because each round lasts 3 minutes, with 1 minute rest until the next round starts. With the tilt and power warnings disabled, the action is continuous and requires more endurance. I do blank the screen a few times and have to guess what blow the machine is calling for when the screen finally resumes. Not good for accuracy.

5 rounds of Intermediate gets a good sweat going. 5 rounds of Advance really gets the heart moving. I really enjoy this type of workout more than anything else I do at the gym. I take photos with my phone so I can see if I'm progressing. It feels as if I am, regardless of the scoring. The gym is mostly empty today. I see Shaggy wearing bizarre Rat-Pack sunglasses with his orange cap and white tank top. The Mayor and LoudMouth are chatting, but I only hear The Mayor. Agent99 comes in later. I don't understand people who move directly to an arm exercise, but that's because I'm a True Believer in cardio warm ups no matter what it is you actually came to the gym to do.

I'm happy to have the Step Mill to myself, and after 15 minutes, sweat is dripping from my hoodie. I do most of the Mat Stretch. I like to focus on balance and flexibility because it's a known fact, especially as you age, that you need to Use It or You Will Lose it. I'm running late again so I rush off to change and shower. The gym scale reads 107.2 lbs and I'm a bit taken aback. I'll have to double-check that later. I'm suppose to meet with the Banquet Manager for our Cub Scout's Blue and Gold function this coming Spring. I'm there on time, but she's 15 minutes late.

When I get home, I'm surprised by the fact that I feel tired, but not hungry. I had oatmeal with an egg and blueberries for breakfast. With a cup of coffee, of course. But that's not usually enough to last all afternoon. I eat some Greek yogurt and take my vitamin D, calcium and fish oil. Oh yeah, let me get on my home scale. 105.2 lbs and 14.3% BF. Okay, I haven't been this light since 2012 when I was focused on dropping weight. And I don't look scrawny now like I looked then. (I have the photos to prove it.) How can I possibly weigh the same amount? I'll credit or blame the apple cider vinegar for now. I pull out the tape measure which confirms that I am indeed shrinking. Sigh. This probably explains why those 20 lb DBs seem so heavy when I used to handle 25s, right? When I lift heavy, I put on weight and size, but I feel fat. I don't feel fat, but I don't feel skinny either. What I'd really like to do is be able to do a few pull ups. Maybe next week...

Tuesday Workout

Warm Up
Calorie :   95 CAL
Distance: 0.84 mile
Duration : 00:10:03

Follow Me
5r Bgnr
5r Intmd
5r Adv
Lap/Rep :  15 Lap/Rep
Duration : 01:00:00
Calorie :   115 CAL
Speed :    6
Lap/Rep :  49 Lap/Rep
Duration : 00:15:00

Photos posted for actual stats:

 5 rounds Beginner


5 rounds Intermediate


5 rounds Advance

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...