Thursday, September 24, 2015

What is Costochondritis and Do I Have It?

I'm very persistent, like a bad cold or a bulldog. I've been called worse. Today I searched my symptoms with slightly different words and got something that actually made sense: costochondritis. No, I've never heard of it before either. But the LiveStrong website description fit much better than any liver ailment. I'm not jaundiced or running a fever. I do have issues with my joint and ligaments, and the sharp pains interspersed with dull aches matches. Here is the link: http://www.livestrong.com/article/406236-chest-pain-after-pullups/ 

In case you don't want to click on it, here it is:  
Costochondritis
Two different conditions, costochondritis and Tietze syndrome, can cause chest pain after pullups, according to Columbia University. Costochondritis involves inflammation in the cartilage that connects your rib cage to your sternum. It causes a dull ache, along with sharp pains that can occur with sudden movements or even a minor shift in position. Tietze syndrome involves swelling in the same area. You can treat these conditions yourself by slowing down your exercise routine for a few days to allow the inflammation to subside. Over-the-counter pain relievers can alleviate the discomfort.

I'm not sure I can slow down my routine. I just need to eliminate the pull ups for a while, and I can't think of a suitable replacement for them that is just a body weight exercise. I'm not one to take OTC pain meds unless it's for fever reduction. I won't touch acetominophen at all, even though it's what hospitals routinely overcharge you for. I guess between the 1982 cyanide-Tylenol murders, and it's adverse effect on the liver (when taken with alcohol), I like ibuprofen better. Ibuprofen actually does something besides relieve pain: it's an anti-inflammatory, which acetominophen is not. Of course, there's a lot of literature suggesting that NSAIDs in general inhibit muscle growth as well.

The more I read about people with this syndrome, the less convinced I am that I have it. So now I'm back to wondering why there's pain under and between my rib cage. Meanwhile, I did have a kickass workout with the Nexersys kickboxing machine today. I did my 10 min warm up on the elliptical and then taped and wrapped my hands. I realized too late that while I had carefully wrapped my palm and wrist between wrapping each finger for the left hand, I had mostly just wrapped my wrist and fingers for the right hand. And half way through the 8 Intermediate rounds, my right front knuckle began to sting. Not from chafing as I had moleskin and tape under the cotton wraps, but I suspect, from a laxity in the wrapping. Next time I know better and will wrap the palm as much as the wrist.

Now that the machine has my weight and age, it's truly not cutting me any slack. I look at all my numbers and can see where I got distracted, or befuddled. Especially during the 2nd Advanced Level round when the Words (directing you to which panel to hit) didn't seem to match the area lit up on the Avatar, and I was momentarily flummoxed enough trying to determine which directive to believe. All it takes is a moment to lose the strike, or in my case, the entire combination. I'm not sure if I'm imagining things, but some of the Intermediate rounds moved a lot quicker today, almost as fast as the Advance rounds. It's a computer, and programs can be glitchy. The Cross / Lead Hook / Cross / Lead Knee completely throws me. I need to actually practice this combination so that my body retains some semblance of muscle memory for the movement.

I see regulars like Shaggy, Soccer Boy, Hannibal Baggy Knees, Vest Girl and The Mayor. Luckily, most of the time I can't hear them. Because I don't want to be late for the dreaded mammogram I have scheduled for this afternoon, I only do a quick lower back stretch before showering. (The radiology company now offers 3D mammograms, but of course, they warn you that your insurance might not cover such brand new technology so they'll charge you the $60 up front and reimburse you if it actually is covered. I decline. Just like I decline the ultrasound.) When I leave, I glance around and catch a glimpse of R's chiseled profile in the free weight area. He's wearing a snug, black long-sleeve shirt, and his usual baseball cap. Yep, there's something magnetic about him and I'm glad I have to leave.

Tomorrow I get to have a laser shoot holes in my left iris. Oh boy, what fun!

Thursday Workout

10 min elliptical warm up = 0.84 miles

Nexersys Follow Me Avatar Program
3 rounds Beginner
8 rounds Intermediate
3 rounds Advance

Photos posted for actual stats: 


Beginner Level: got distracted during round 3 and pulled my punches a bit due to people at the adjacent Mtn Bike Simulator


Intermediate Level: round 2, I missed a few combinations, but overall I'm fairly consistent



Advance Level: I really messed up on round 2, missing a complete 4-blow combination sequence. Made up for it in round 3, but that round didn't have any complicated combinations.

Below are the breakdown of the 3 rounds. Lotsa zeros. I still haven't figured this system out yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...