Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Progress

In not sure why the YouTube videos (Shaun the Sheep and Hey Nunny Nunny) I embedded in yesterday's post seem to have disappeared. I re-embedded them today. Hopefully they're still there. If not, I've included links (yes, click on those pale grey blue words) for your viewing pleasure.

I got to the gym at 9 am which is probably the earliest I've been here in some months. Skipped the LifeFitness cross-trainer in favor of the Precor elliptical for a good sweaty 30 minute warm up with Performance Program #1. Shaggy was on one of the cross-trainers and I tend to avoid people who give me weird vibes. At the Cage, I do a set of Hammer Grip Pull Ups. The first set always feels very tentative because I'm not 100% certain that I can actually do them. My right shoulder is achy as well, and the only thing I can think of, is that I was playing with "external rotation" movements yesterday. Without any weight! Maybe I should stick to doing a few shrugging motions between sets instead?

I alternate between Push Ups and Planks, figuring that'll keep the core engaged. It's easier on my tailbone but my neck feels a little stiff. Dang it! It's from the Pull Ups! I have to clear the roof of the Cage with my chin, which means I'm not pulling straight up. My head is tilted back and this might be putting a strain on my neck. Since the Cage isn't anchored, I worry about tipping it over if I put my hands too close to the front edge of the roof.

Push Ups might actually be getting easier. There! I've said it... I can knock out 60 regular push ups for the first set and only stop at 60 because I'd like to complete the remaining sets of Diamond, Dand, and regular to finish. The Diamond push ups are hard. I keep losing my count! I've either done 23 or 25. Let's go with 25. The Dand seems easier. I make it to 30 today. Yaaay! For the last set, I just count to 20 three times. Done! I'm going to add more variations to the planks as well since 2 minutes has become the norm now. Weird, I feel a lot stronger now, not pushing weights. I think I might be putting on a bit of size as well. Not what I want though. I'd like to be stronger, but not much bigger. Because I want to fit into my existing clothes! At some point summer will be over, and we'll all have to wear warm clothes and snow gear.

I do another set of pull ups before I get on the elliptical for 30 minutes of Intervals. I'm not able to quite do the mileage or speed I'm used to but that's only because this is my 2nd session. When I'm done, I'm able to do another set of pull ups before hitting the Mat for a good stretch. And a few pistol squats too. Before I hit the locker room, I grab another set of pull ups. Because I hate backsliding. I'm good with 4 sets of pull ups as long as there's sufficient time between them to allow my elbows to decompress. They don't hurt at all today. I'm playing with the idea of trying a "muscle up" on the Smith or the Max Rack. First I'll have to check and see if I can clear my head if I manage to get myself up on one of those bars...

Tomorrow I'll whack the machine again. It's suppose to finally cool off, but of course this means Cold Front hits Warm Front and creates Torrential Rains. Today I have to take my son to swim class where the indoor pool is bath water warm, and the surrounding benches feel like seats in a sauna. Then we get to dash back to school for a Cub Scouts Planning meeting. Boring for my son, but it's only once a month. He can play with the other bored kids whose parents drag them to these things.

Wednesday Workout
(5.31 miles total cardio)


Perf Prg#1
Calorie :   299 CAL
Distance: 2.62 mile
Duration : 00:30:00
156.8
Set 1 : 112x12
60
Set 1 : 60 Lap/Rep
Straight/Elbow
Set 1 : 00:02:00
25
Set 1 : 25 Lap/Rep
Leg Lift
Set 1 : 00:02:00
30
Set 1 : 30 Lap/Rep
Bird Dog
Set 1 : 00:02:06
60
Set 1 : 60 Lap/Rep

Set 1 : 50x25
Set 2 : 50x25
156.8
Set 1 : 112x12
Intervals
Calorie :   309 CAL
Distance: 2.69 mile
Duration : 00:30:00
156.8
Set 1 : 112x12
126.93
Set 1 : 112x4
Set 2 : 112x4
156.8
Set 1 : 112x12

2 comments:

  1. Killer workout Pixie! I'm waiting for Shaun to come out on bluray dvd.Today was mmy next-to-last day of shoulder therapy. The lead therapist decided to go hands-on with my shoulder after I did all my regular work. Ouch...I was sore enough 2hrs later that I resorted to some naproxen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That must've been some session to resort to naproxen!

      Delete

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...