Thursday, September 10, 2015

The Best Med for Anxiety

Four years doesn't sound like a long time but it's a matter of perspective. A four-year old is definitely not a new born. But children grow fast. Adults tend not to change too much too quickly, unless they've been sick, or started a new exercise regime. I've changed a lot physically since I joined the gym four and a half years ago. An old guy with bad Navy tats on his arms shows up at the gym after a long hiatus. I remember him when I first joined. He was old then too, but didn't look unhealthy. Now he's skinny and frail, the skin hanging off his arms like wrinkled sheets. Maybe he's been sick. Or maybe he just got old?


I see the Body Pump trainer in the locker room. She's my age, but our lifestyles are totally different. On the other hand, she's probably like most of the women in this area: gets her nails done, gets her brows done, gets her hair colored and cut, gets a Brazilian wax, drinks and parties hard, has mostly grown kids (youngest is a Senior in HS), lies out in the sun at their beach house. She's skinny too, but not a skinny I'd envy. The flesh on her arms hangs off the humerus, much like the old man's. Which I don't understand since she teaches fitness classes part-time. Her thin face is drawn with deep furrows. I doubt if she could chin herself, but maybe she'd surprise me? Age has a way of walloping you when you least expect it. I can see it in myself, especially around the eyes and mouth. I didn't have all these faint wrinkles last year!

I desperately want to cut off my hair and go back to my old Pixie cut style, because long hair is always in the way. In spite of hair clips and barrettes, I've resorted to whacking the bangs off instead. At least they're fairly even so I don't look like a 3 yr old did it. But the last time I remember having bangs and a pigtail was for my 4th grade class photo, when I was 9. Hmmm, maybe it makes me look younger?

I'm stressed and anxious about tomorrow's laser procedure so I take it out on the kickboxing machine. It's what it's there for! Because the Beginner rounds are so frustrating, I've dropped them down to 4 and moved a round up on the Intermediate. The Intermediate is frustrating for completely different reasons. The Beginner rounds are slow, and I'm always always punching or kicking too hard. The Intermediate rounds don't always register my kicks or sweeps, and the machine is flaky enough to run through a series of incomplete sequences. Images denoting blows light up, but the accompanying instructions don't. So I'm not sure if I'm suppose to whack the machine. Or not. Mostly I do. Trying to play "catch-up" as the machine rambles through a series of nonsensical sequences. My Accuracy score suffers, but I don't care. But even in the Intermediate Program, the machine stops every time I land a Power Hook. I have to pull the punch, just like I have to pull the Cross and the Power Dig. Oh jeeze! The machine needs new parts or something 'cuz I'm a wee thing with wee hands.

Trying to flatten the belly
with planks 'cuz crunches and
weighted ab work makes
me bigger! Not what I want!
At the end of the session, the machine advises me that I should add rounds. I'm tempted to try one round of Advanced next time. Maybe on the other machine since this one tends to switch into South Paw mode for no apparent reason, which makes scoring nearly impossible.

I'm still feeling anxious so I take 15 minutes to climb the Step Mill. I get to watch the few people who are here today: The Mayor, Shazam, PonyTail, Vest Girl, Daniel Bryan Fan... Vest Girl is doing Smith Split Squats. Cool! I stretch at the Cage and then the Mat because my lower back gets very stiff from all the kicks and sweeps. I'm probably not going to the gym tomorrow. The ophthalmologist's office says I'll be there a good 2-3 hours so that means I'm not getting home until noon or some time afterwards. I get to take my son to the gym with me next Monday and Tuesday. I wonder what movie is going to be playing. At least there's something to look forward to.

Thursday Workout

10 min warm up elliptical = 0.85 miles

Nexersys Kickboxing Machine
4 rounds Beginner Follow Me
10 rounds Intermediate Follow Me

15 min Step Mill speed 6

Photos posted for actual stats:

4 rounds Beginner Follow Me


10 rounds Intermediate Follow Me

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...