Monday, September 14, 2015

The Benefits of Slacking

Today's Selfie
I was more than a little worried when I got to the gym this morning. Not only was the Child Care room devoid of older kids, but the gym seemed extremely crowded. But that wasn't really why I was worried. It was because I'd taken Friday off to recuperate from the laser surgery on my right eye. I didn't fill the prescription for steroid drops because my eye didn't really bother me, other than sporadic headaches and tenderness, and a proclivity for weeping unexpectedly. But just the right eye. The doc said other patients have complained of the treated eye feeling "heavy" but that's not my experience. If anything, it feels lighter. And since it weeps more, I assume due to the increase in fluid drainage, it's not nearly as dry or itchy as the left eye now.

When I take too much time off from working out, my cardio abilities suffer. But my strength remains intact, or increases. I warm up 10 minutes on the LifeFitness cross-trainer because I have once again bought new sneakers and I want to see how they hold up. The cross-trainer is harder on my feet and ankles than the elliptical. Even though I have at least 5 pairs of gym shoes, only 2 are really comfortable: one old pair of Asics GT-2160 mesh tops sneakers and a newer pair of Asics Gel Precision TR leather trainers that I wear to kickboxing. I don't like the Ryka leather shoes because the tongue of the right foot keeps slipping to the right, and I feel short-changed on the laces. There's barely enough to tie a double-knot. The lighter Ryka Dash walking shoe has interior seams that chafe. The Saucony leather shoe is too big in the heel although it is comfortable enough to wear for casual use. I rarely wear sneakers casually though. Just not my style.

Today I have on Ryka's new Radiant Plus walking shoe with memory foam. I don't need a running shoe because I don't actually run, but I miss that wonderful cushiony feeling of walking on air when you put on a new pair of good sneakers. The laces are extra long, perhaps because the last pair of Ryka's seemed chintzy with the laces? There is good cushioning under the foot, and there aren't any noticeable interior seams. My only complaint is that my right heel tends to slide a bit, the shoe isn't as deep as the Asics in the back, but I might be able to remedy that if I thread the laces through the last eyelet on the shoe. When I drop down from hammer grip pull ups, my feet don't register the usual shock so the padding is effective. Excellent!

I'm very deliberate when I set up to do pull ups, especially in hand placement. I have to drape my palms over the bars so that my hands and not my fingers bear the load. Even then, I'm only using my hands as hooks because pull ups are ultimately done with the bigger back muscles. Stress on my elbows means that the load is being handled by the weaker arm muscle and joints and I'm doing it wrong. Today I can pull myself straight up without having to curl my body forward. I should probably add some crunches or leg lifts back into my routine.

When going for reps, speed is crucial. Knocking out 60 push ups for a set means I'm moving really fast. I slow down for the Diamond and the Dand push ups. I've increased the reps on those as well so I must be getting stronger, or at least building endurance strength. When I stop at 30 reps, it's mostly because I'm worried that I won't be able to do the next set properly. I haven't added any variations to the planks although the time keep increasing. I should toss in some side planks or knee to elbow planks just for variety. When I get to the last set of regular push ups, I just move as fast as I can go. Getting to 60 isn't as hard as it used to be!

Because I figure that doing Intervals will probably kill me (kidding) I do 30 minutes of Performance Program #1 today. Then a set of pull ups. Stretch the hamstrings, calves and hips. Finish with a last set of pull ups. No time for a complete stretch today. Tomorrow I get to whack the kickboxing machine, take my son to lunch at a local crepe cafe and then to the movies to see (again) Inside Out since it's the only kid movie showing.

Monday Workout
(3.94 miles total)

Warm Up
Calorie :   47 CAL
Distance: 1.31 mile
Speed :    7.83 mph
Duration : 00:10:04
156.8
Set 1 : 112x12
60
Set 1 : 60 Lap/Rep
N/A
Set 1 : 00:02:03
30
Set 1 : 30 Lap/Rep
N/A
Set 1 : 00:02:06
30
Set 1 : 30 Lap/Rep
N/A
Set 1 : 00:02:15
60
Set 1 : 60 Lap/Rep

Set 1 : 50x25
Set 2 : 50x25
156.8
Set 1 : 112x12
Perf Prgm #1
Calorie :   301 CAL
Distance: 2.63 mile
Duration : 00:30:03
156.8
Set 1 : 112x12
Set 2 : 112x12

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...