Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Aging Joints

My son talked me into taking him out for sushi dinner last night. I ordered a lot of sushi, and then a plate of tuna sashimi (tekka don), which is large slabs of raw tuna on a bed of seasoned rice, with small sides of seaweed salad and yellow pickled daikon (radishes). I use the low sodium soy, but can't help slather wasabi on the fish and munch on pickled ginger between bites. My fingers are a bit stiff when I wake up this morning. It's from the salt. Still, I'm pretty surprised when I get on the scale before I shower at the gym, and it reads 110 lbs. Because I'm thinking I should weigh more just based on water retention weight alone.

We're a tad late to the gym so I adjust my warm up time down to 15 minutes on the elliptical, Performance Program #1. I can tell my body has kicked into "drive" when I sense a change in body odor, not perspiration. It's a weird mustiness that precedes any sweating. Because I haven't found a substitute movement yet for the Hammer Grip Pull Ups, I do 4 sets today. But my left elbow twinges while I'm doing 30 minutes of cardio (Intervals program) so I know it's not happy with me. I don't think I can make the joints stronger (although some online sources state that tendons and ligaments can be strengthened), just maybe not aggravate them too much. I'm giving this body weight routine at least 6-8 weeks. This is only week two.

The Mayor enters the gym with a chubby young woman. He jokes with the seniors at the coffee table that he's going to get a double workout today. I think that's obnoxious, but that's because I don't think much of his efforts. The girl has orange blonde hair over dark straggly roots. That seems to be a look these days but I can't say I think it's attractive. After she signs the guest book, The Mayor takes her to the weight area. He always starts out with DBs, but she's such a newbie that he has to actually do the exercise to show her what to do. That little bit of exertion has him stain his shirt with perspiration. But it doesn't stop him from talking loudly everywhere. Red, the middle-aged woman who likes to chat with The Mayor, seems grumpy today. Not getting her share of atttention? Because the girl bears little resemblance to either The Mayor or the skinny blonde boy he's been bringing lately, I'm confused as to whether she could be his daughter. Both she and the blonde boy are noticeably silent and awkwardly uncomfortable, like kids are around their parents. I'm amused.

The Mats are completely populated with half dozen young bodies splayed out, stretching and chatting. I slip into the lone classroom just as Yoga is ending and find a small mat in the corner to do my planks and push ups. I've already decided to can the Side To Side Push Ups and replace them with Regular Push Ups. I almost forget that I've upped the first set of Regular Push Ups to 60. Old habits die hard. I put the mat under my hands to cushion them, but my feet keep sliding on the polished floors. The rest of the gym has carpeting and gym mats. No sliding there. I can't believe I'm doing sets of 2-minute planks! Still having trouble with those Bird Dogs though. At the end, I wonder how many Regular push ups I'll be able to do. Especially after having done 110 push ups in total and 6 minutes of planks. I manage to grind out 50, but the last 5 were really hard. I'm glad I didn't land on my face. Seriously.

There are three other women in this room with me. One is skipping rope. The other two are taking turns doing deadlifts. There's a complete set of light plates and bars in this room now that there are classes available to teach Body Pump and other whole body exercises. When I leave the room, I head over to the Cage to do the last set of Hammer Grip Pull Ups. This is the weakest I've felt all day. My elbows are definitely not happy with me. After a good leg and hip stretch, I dash back to the locker room to shower and change before Child Care ends. My son is the only one there. But he knew it was going to be this way. We're off to do some groceries.

I've dug an old skate board and helmet out of the garage. It was a gift from the (older) girl who lives up the road. She's a real tomboy and in middle school already. My son has decided he'd like to learn how to skate board. I told him I'd try to help. But maybe not today. It's pushing 90F and he has swim class at 6 pm today. Maybe tomorrow.

Wednesday Workout
(4.12 miles total cardio)

Perf Prgm #1
Calorie :   155 CAL
Distance: 1.35 mile
Duration : 00:15:00
154
Set 1 : 110x12
Set 2 : 110x12 Too Soon!
60
Set 1 : 60 Lap/Rep
Straight/Elbow
Set 1 : 00:02:01
25
Set 1 : 25 Lap/Rep
Leg Lift
Set 1 : 00:02:01
25
Set 1 : 25 Lap/Rep
Bird Dogs
Set 1 : 00:02:00
50
Set 1 : 50 Lap/Rep
154
Set 1 : 110x12
Intervals Prg
Calorie :   321 CAL
Distance: 2.77 mile
Duration : 00:30:00
154
Set 1 : 110x12

2 comments:

  1. You might want to try Cissus supplements and collagen hydrolysate for your joints. I have found both to be helpful with mine. Turmeric also has anti inflammatory properties.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I already take fish oil and milk thistle for inflammation. I've heard about tumeric. My hubs takes glucosamine (like the dog). I'll look into your suggestion. :)

    ReplyDelete

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...