Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Vertigo Workout

I was a tad late to the gym because I waited until after 9 am to call my primary care doc to see if I could get a same-day appointment. She's on vacation but apparently she has a doc covering some of her patients who is located in my town. My primary is located at the hospital in the next town over. And I can be seen at 11:45 am. Which doesn't leave me much time for a full workout, but I can get my cardio in, and maybe a few other quick moves.

Since I already know I'm not going to be doing anything that involves a rapid tilt of my head, I set up to do 5 miles straight. After the 5 minute warm up, I can't resist tossing in the 4 minutes of Tabata just to get my heart racing. It's a thrill. I use the manual settings on the Precor to vary the incline. It makes the session more interesting than steady state jogging on a level plane. My heart rate is all over the place again. I can't figure it out. After 5 miles, I do a quick Cage Stretch. I figure I ought to try doing pull ups again since I'm not doing Back at all today. No RG BB Rows. No time. And I don't want to bend down and fall over on my face. I like doing Pull Ups at the Cage because I can grab two parallel bars so my hands face each other. This is loads easier on my elbows and shoulders. Other pull up stations are set with the handles too far apart and the bars are so thick that I can't really get my hands around them. I have very small hands.

The Step Mills are occupied otherwise I'd be tempted to do 10 minutes there. Instead, I do a quick Mat Stretch that just involves touching my elbows to the floor with my legs a bit wider than shoulder-width, and then walking out to a push up position for planks. Again it's only 30 seconds regular plank, and then 30 seconds of knee to elbow plank. This time I count to 32 which gives me 16 per side. I just have time to shower and drive over to the doctor. The gym scale reads 111.4 lbs, probably because I've barely touched my water.

The doc tells me that since I have absolutely no symptoms of a bacterial infection (no discharge, no fever, no sore throat), it's most likely a viral labyrinthitis. There's no real treatment for it although sometimes medications are prescribed to alleviate the symptoms of dizziness and/or nausea. The doc suggest Antivert (meclizine) but I politely decline. I'm not a big med fan. I can, however, continue to take just two 30 mg tablets of pseudoephedrine a day until this clears up. He thinks it should be greatly alleviated by this weekend. An internet search reveals that this condition may last longer, and poses the risk of hearing damage. Sigh. Another familial condition. While both my parents had bad sinuses, my mom also suffered from vertigo and constant problems with her ears. My brother developed Meniere's disease a few years ago. It's characterized by severe vertigo, exacerbated by strong perfumes and scents. His docs wanted to severe the damaged nerves which would lead to complete hearing loss. Docs are always so ready to ruin your life. Instead, my brother treats his condition with super-strong antihistamines. So far it's working for him.

I also read that some believe the virus to be related to those that cause chickenpox, shingles and cold sores. Great. I've had chickenpox as a child. Didn't we all? And I've had shingles. And cold sores. So this is just the virus expressing itself somewhere else, causing different symptoms. Well, at least it's not serious. Unless I drop a weight on myself. Which is why I've decided to just to cardio and stuff that doesn't involve me lifting things over my head, or bending over. It's a good thing I like cardio now. Really. I do. I think tomorrow's a boxing day.

Vertigo Cardio Workout

5.01 miles = 56 minutes Precor with 4 min Tabata (20 sec On / 10 sec Off)

Cage Stretch with front and side stretch, BW calf dips and raises

Neutral Grip BW Pull Ups: 10, 10, 8

quick Mat Stretch with 30 sec regular plank; 30 sec knee-to-elbow plank (16 per side)

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...