Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Does a Slower Heart Rate Mean I'm Healthier?

Before I went to the gym, I read an article in the NYTimes about how people overestimate the amount of cardio work they do, and hence overestimate their fitness levels. Almost as an aside, the article also mentioned how notoriously inaccurate the standard formula (220-age) was to determine maximum heart rate and training zones. Instead, it suggested using a newer formula (211-65%age) which actually increases my range from 166 to 177, and gives me a 90% rate of 158. For some reason this made me really happy. Yes, only true gym rats (and maybe wild mice) revel in "permission" to "run" faster.

I'm oddly tired today though. Odd because yesterday I only did 2 miles on the elliptical and then my standard 12 rounds of boxing, down from 14 a few weeks ago. I don't do Tabata today because I've read it's best not to do it every day. I do my 2 mile warm up and note that my heart rate seems lower than it's been in previous days. I still have mild vertigo, but it's not too bad as long as I don't turn too quickly or invert my head (like bending over to touch my nose to my shin). A few times during the 2 mile course, I had trouble getting my heart rate up high enough, it kept dipping down to 114 and I prefer it to be 130-140. Now that's definitely new.

The RG BB Rows aren't bad today. I do my 3 sets at 155 lbs, noting that I feel the erector muscles along my lower back mostly. I have to really concentrate to feel my lats, and to correct the inherent lop-sidedness of my row. The right seems to rise higher than the left, probably because it's the dominant side. But the left side is bigger. Go figure.

After my first set at 155 lbs, a guy in camo cargo shorts tells me to leave the weights on the bar when I'm done so he can use it. Fine with me. Less work for me. But I don't cut my sets short for anyone except me. Which meant he had to wait through not only the remainder 155s, but two sets of 20-reppers at 135. He's no where to be seen when I'm done but I leave the plates on the bar anyway. I'm at the Lower Back machine when I see him exit the Mens' Lockers. He slinks guiltily over to the BB and does 3 reps of BB Rows before wandering off to the machines. He doesn't even unload the plates. What a slacker. He's got no cred with me. Next time I'm going to unload the plates regardless unless the dude is standing right there.

The Lower Back Extensions feel fine. But the Close Grip Lat Pull Downs seem heavier today. I can't get the 8th rep on any of my 135 lb sets. Bummer. I'm not sure why I feel so tired. I want to do some abs and B has reminded me that I can do lower ab work like leg lifts. I plan to do about 100 knee-in kick-outs but lose count. Maybe it's 120? Whatever.

I haven't done Rip Crushers in a few weeks so I'm a bit tenuous about it. I flip the bench around so my head is at the narrower bottom portion (instead of the segmented "head" position because that's really uncomfortable). I warm up with just the EZ bar, and then add a pair of 10s, secured with my own collars. I'm probably the only one who brings their own collars but it's better than spraining my hand. 37.5 lbs isn't the heaviest I've ever done, but three sets is plenty heavy today. My left elbow complains vaguely. I have to wait for the V-grip Tricep Press Down so I plop myself down at the Seated Cable Row, wondering if I should do a few sets. I haven't done these since last July when they set off a round of sciatica in my right leg. I know I'm tired because I can only get one full set at 50 lbs. The next set I can only do 8 reps. So I do drop sets with maybe 20 seconds rest between sets. By 20 lbs, I know the weight is ridiculously light, but I can barely get my arms to press down. They are toast.

I climb back onto the cardio platform and do 3 miles on the Precor. Again, my heart rate seems very low so I up my pace from 150 to 175-190. It's a good exhilarating pace for most of the 30 minute "run", keeping my BPM between 140-150. I'm happy and sweaty when I'm done. Time for a full Mat Stretch. The JeFit app doesn't list Dive Bomber Push Ups so I list them under regular Push Ups. I still hate Planks and Knee-to-Elbow Planks but I do one set of each. The splits are easy now, but touching my nose to my shin (from a standing position) is out until the vertigo is gone. The gym scale reads 112.6 which is loads better than Monday. But ouch! I've skinned my tailbone doing that lower ab movement and it's only when I'm in the shower that I realize it. Bummer.

Back and Triceps Workout

 Exercise Name
1RM
Lifting Logs
N/A
Calorie :   172 CAL
Distance: 2.01 mile
Speed :    --
Lap/Rep :  --
Duration : 00:22:00
225
Set 1 : 45x12
Set 2 : 135x12
Set 3 : 155x12
Set 4 : 155x12
Set 5 : 155x12
Set 6 : 135x20
Set 7 : 135x20
270
Set 1 : 180x15
Set 2 : 180x15
Set 3 : 180x15
166.5
Set 1 : 90x12
Set 2 : 120x8
Set 3 : 135x7
Set 4 : 135x7
Set 5 : 135x7
52.5
Set 1 : 15x12
Set 2 : 37.5x12
Set 3 : 37.5x12
Set 4 : 37.5x12
70
Set 1 : 50x12
Set 2 : 50x8
Set 3 : 40x8
Set 4 : 30x10
Set 5 : 20x12
120
Set 1 : 120 Lap/Rep
N/A
Calorie :   261 CAL
Distance: 3 mile
Speed :    --
Lap/Rep :  --
Duration : 00:31:00
N/A
Set 1 : 00:00:30
N/A
Set 1: 16 Lap/Rep
         00:00:30
12
Set 1 : 12 Lap/Rep
Set 2 : 12 Lap/Rep

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...