Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Abbreviated Cardio

Waking at 3 or 4 am to pee makes for a good assessment as to whether the vertigo is gone. It's not. Everyone I know is tired. I'm tired. My husband is tired. The weekend wasn't particularly physical either. Today I'm having trouble with my cardio routine. Bad enough I have to be mindful of the time so I don't miss the school bus.

I'm surprised that I can actually get on a Precor today. Usually they're all busy. The 4 minute Tabata is hard, but it's never been easy. The Cage Stretch is easy and my head doesn't feel too bad when I bend my face to my shin, my leg 90 degrees straight out. I wrap my hands to box and kick the Nexersys. After 9 rounds at Beginner Level, I realize that I'm beat. I usually do another 5 rounds at Intermediate Level but I know that I can't. Not today. Instead, I do 3 rounds. Because doing 3 rounds is better than not doing it at all.

Those three rounds are tough, perhaps due to the high humidity. The gym tends to rely on cross-ventilation via open doors early in the morning, reserving air conditioning for the heat of the afternoon. I'm also mindful of the time. Each round is 3 minutes, with a minute between rounds. I have limited time. My pink kickboxing gloves are soggy, the wraps are soaked through. I wonder if I can wash the gloves because I really hate the way they smell lately. Fabric refresher doesn't seem to last long enough and since my hands are always up by my face unless I'm striking, I get a good whiff of sweat-stink leather.

12 rounds and I'm done. I walk over to the Mats to unwrap before finishing my cardio workout. Another 20 or so minutes and I'll be done. Normally I finish with 3 more miles. Today I only do a total of 4 miles, but I make it up by adding 5 minutes of Tabata. It's painful. I'm hoping to improve my cardio vascular endurance. The gym scale reads 112.4 lbs. I'm so sodden that I'm blotting my hair with my hoodie. Is it silly to dry off before heading to shower?

Today I have a date with my son to see How To Train Your Dragon 2. But before that happens, my dog, in ill-fated youthful exuberance, tries to leap over a large package in front of the door and lands unceremoniously and painfully at the bottom of the steps. Nothing's broken but he's badly bruised. Hugs, kisses and after a gentle but firm examination, we decide to go to the movies anyway because if no one's home, he'll get bored and go to sleep. And we want him to rest instead of following us restlessly from room to room. He seems a bit better when we get home. His appetite is good. He's an old man in dog years. He just doesn't know it.

Tuesday Abbreviated Workout

 
Calorie :   168 CAL
Distance: 2 mile
Duration : 00:22:00
Lap/Rep :  12 Lap/Rep
Duration : 00:48:00
Calorie :   166 CAL
Distance: 2 mile
Duration : 00:22:00

Photos posted for actual stats:



No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...