Monday, June 23, 2014

Underwater Benching

We forgot to formally celebrate the Summer Solstice but we were out and about all weekend since it was pleasantly sunny and we had events to attend. We also ate. On the menu: smoked ribs and chicken, seasonal fresh lychees, savory pork pastries, dragonfruit, brownies, layer cakes, veggie sushi rolls, and an assortment of seaweed rice crackers and shrimp chips. We also retrieved my car from the shop and my husband reluctantly returned the 2014 courtesy loaner Impreza sedan (with kick-ass air conditioning and a much roomier interior than our current 2002 and 2005 Forester models). His car is on the verge of breaking 200K this year with his frequent trips to Boston. He put 300 miles on the loaner in 2 days but so far no one's complained from the dealership.

The peas vines are almost as tall as I am with pink and white flowers. I'm hoping for a good crop of snow peas this year. Because I grow my own, I'm spoiled and can't bear to eat packaged snow peas -- those taste old and stale. We've not been so fortunate with the zucchini. I only see two plants. A friend says the slugs have eaten all her squash, basil and tomatoes. This is the first year we've seen actual shelled snails so I'm not sure what to expect. There are dragonflies flitting everywhere and I'm glad to have them eat as many mosquitoes as they want.

Lately, my vertigo only bothers me at night when I'm laying flat on my bed. But that doesn't mean it's gone. Today I go to the gym feeling disoriented and fuzzy, as if I was still asleep and merely dreaming my routine. It's not a good mindset especially if you're going to move weight over your body or face, as with the Bench Press. I'm very mindful of all my movements today. The gym is cool enough that I don't break a sweat until minute 17 during the 2-mile warm up. I have to adjust my ponytail when I lay down to bench. The room's not spinning, but nothing feels real. I have to be extra cautious. Feeling disassociated from reality gets people into a lot of trouble.

I have my tunes up loud so I can't hear the Zumba instructor screaming from the other side of the big mirrored wall. But I have to count out loud to myself in order to focus. And I can't dawdle either. This week will be abbreviated workouts because my son's school is only 1/2 days. Friday he'll be at the gym with me, but he won't be able to work out. He'll be stuck in the child care room. Hopefully there'll be other kids his age. I get my 3 sets at 115 and do a 20-repper at 95 lbs. Yay! I skip the Inclined Bench Press because I just don't have time, especially if I want to finish with my standard 3 miles. No Tabata or HIIT today.

What's important today are chest, shoulders, biceps, abs and a stretch to get the kinks out after a vaguely inert weekend. Lateral DB Flyes are fine. I do three sets of Inclined DB Reverse Flyes on the Incline Bench Station because there are only flat benches in the DB area now. Then I super set the next three sets with Alternating DB Twisting Curls. I have time for a few Crunches and a set of Pulse Ups before I run back to the cardio platform. After 3 miles, I do a Mat Stretch with Dive Bomber Push Ups but leave out the plank. I keep catching whiffs of cat pee and I'm hoping that's not me. Yuck. Time for a shower. The gym scale reads 112.6 lbs which is still pretty odd for me for a Monday because I'm used to the scale reading heavier. But I'm happy with it. I make it home just in time to wait by the bus stop for 10 minutes in the blazing sun. Tomorrow I'm sure the bus will be earlier. I'm planning to take my son to an afternoon showing of How to Train Your Dragon 2.

Monday Workout

Calorie :   173 CAL
Distance: 2.03 mile
Duration : 00:23:00

Set 1 : 45x12
Set 2 : 95x12
Set 3 : 115x8
Set 4 : 115x8
Set 5 : 115x8
Set 6 : 95x20

Set 1 : 20x12
Set 2 : 20x12
Set 3 : 20x12
Set 4 : 20x12
Set 5 : 20x12
Set 6 : 20x12

Set 1 : 20x12
Set 2 : 20x12
Set 3 : 20x12
Set 4 : 20x12  sets4-6 super set with Bicep Curl
Set 5 : 20x12
Set 6 : 20x12

Set 1 : 20x12
Set 2 : 20x12
Set 3 : 20x12

Set 1 : 50
Set 2 : 50 
 
Set 1 : 25
 
Set 1 : 12
Set 2 : 12
 
Calorie :   267 CAL
Distance: 3.04 mile
Duration : 00:33:00

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...