Monday, June 2, 2014

Vertigo Does Not Like Downward Dog

I still have vertigo. It's annoying. It didn't keep me from taking my son to a birthday party yesterday at ClubFit where he got to play nerf tag. Meanwhile, I used the postcard invitation to check out their cardio and weight equipment. My husband initially didn't want to come but when I told him it was a family pass and he could come with me to try out different equipment, he donned his sneakers with a big grin. I felt like a 9 year old flitting from elliptical to cross-trainer to stair-stepper. They definitely have a greater variety of cardio equipment, but an odd array of iron split between two floors. I got a couple of miles in before my husband and I decided to stretch out and cool down. He didn't want to get back to the gaming area completely sweaty. Having vertigo makes sit ups and crunches a bad idea. It's also very nasty when stretching into a Downward Dog. My son's hair was plastered to his head, and his cheeks were totally red. He gets that from me. When I'm flushed, I feel like the poster girl on the Mao communist propaganda wall art.

This is either an ear infection or allergies. I'm not sure what to think because this is the first time that I've woken up without having to blow my nose or clear gunk out my throat. It's probably all backed up in my sinuses and ear canals instead. Still, I go to the gym although it takes me longer than usual to get out the door. My head feels like I'm swimming through jelly so it's hard to get dressed. After my son boards the school bus, I'm moving in slow-mo to get through the day.

The first 2 miles of cardio doesn't really do much for me because I'm trying to keep my heart rate within range. It skyrockets and drops, ricochets without any discernible cause even as I keep a steady pace. I'm not even breathing hard. I'm certainly not sweaty either. The free weight area is oddly empty for a Monday. It's a Push Day and I'm hoping for the best. Benching just the bar is fine. 95 lbs is fine. But 115 lbs is a bit taxing. I do my 8 reps and I feel fairly strong. But every time I lay my head down on the bench, waves of disorienting vertigo hit me hard. I don't want to chance feeling as if the bench is moving while I have 115 lbs up over my chest and neck. I strip the bar back down to 95 lbs and do a 20-repper. And because I'm still fairly fresh having only done one set at 115 lbs, I knock out another 20-repper without issue.

There's no way I'm going to do Inclined BB Press feeling like this. I grab a pair of 20 lb DBs and figure I'll do a few sets of Inclined Flyes. Again, as I sit back and lay my head on the bench, I get a wave of dizzying motion. I'm not quite nauseous but it's not fun. I only do 3 sets. My right shoulder feels a little off. Standing up is better and I use the 20s for my DB Lateral Raises. There are several girls in front of the DB rack doing curls, lateral raises and other assorted movements with shiny beauty bells. I'm glad I'm standing on the other side of the squat rack. There are several college boys I've never seen before . One is doing BB Rows, first with the bar alone, then with a pair of 45s, then adding 10s. He's about 6 foot 6. I decide to skip the Bent Over Reverse Flyes because I don't think I can stand to have my head down.

Normally I'd finish the Push Day with Triceps but there's no way I'm going to attempt Rip Crushers or Tricep Press Downs or any movement that makes me move my head at a severe angle. Instead, I use the 20 lb DBs I already have to do some alternating twisting curls. Then I grab an EZ bar and toss a few plates on for BB curls. Finally, I use a solid straight BB for Reverse Grip Curls. Sit ups and crunches are out. I tried a few yesterday and Vertigo does not like that movement. The Torso Twist machine is okay. I hop back on a Precor and get my 3 miles. This time I'm a bit sweatier. My right ear feels really hot, and I've developed an odd knot in my right upper trap. I definitely need to do a Mat Stretch to address the knot.

I can do everything in my Mat Stretch, even bend over to touch the floor with my elbows, except bring my head down to touch my shins. That is the point where the vertigo kicks in. Well, it's better than when I started out this morning. I decide to keep the 30 second plank with 30 seconds of alternating knee to elbow moves. I count to 28 so that's 14 per side which is better than last time when I only got 10 per side. The gym scale reads 113.4 lbs which is less than I was expecting for a Monday. It makes me happy. What makes me unhappy is feeling as if I've been poured into my clothes. It's 80°F today and last summer's shorts are feeling decidedly tight. I don't like it.

I also have to figure out how I'm going to modify my program. Again. Apparently elementary school ends on June 26, a Thursday. And that entire week is early dismissal or half days. I'm not even sure what the point of school is at that point because it's only a 2.5 hr school day. Which means I need to create an abbreviated workout. I wonder if I cut out squats and SLDLs will my glutes get smaller? Hhmmm.

Vertigo Monday Workout

 Exercise Name
1RM
Lifting Logs
N/A
Calorie :   171 CAL
Distance: 2.03 mile
Speed :    --
Lap/Rep :  --
Duration : 00:23:00
158.33
Set 1 : 45x12
Set 2 : 95x12
Set 3 : 115x8
Set 4 : 95x20
Set 5 : 95x20
28
Set 1 : 20x12
Set 2 : 20x12
Set 3 : 20x12
28
Set 1 : 20x12
Set 2 : 20x12
Set 3 : 20x12
Set 4 : 20x12
Set 5 : 20x12
Set 6 : 20x12
28
Set 1 : 20x12
Set 2 : 20x8
Set 3 : 20x12
66.5
Set 1 : 15x12
Set 2 : 37.5x12
Set 3 : 47.5x12
Set 4 : 47.5x12
Set 5 : 47.5x12
66.67
Set 1 : 40x20
Set 2 : 40x20
Set 3 : 40x20
N/A
Calorie :   254 CAL
Distance: 3 mile
Speed :    --
Lap/Rep :  --
Duration : 00:34:00
N/A
Set 1 : 00:00:30
N/A
Set 1: 14 Lap/Rep
         00:00:30
Mat Stretch with 2 x 12 Dive Bomber Push Ups, splits, upper & lower back stretch, etc

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...