Thursday, May 8, 2014

Making Lemonade

It wasn't too far into the morning when I had the urge to crawl back into bed and pull the covers up over my head. Of course, I was already at the gym when the thought occurred to me. And I'd already dropped my son at school early for his extra gym class, gotten gas at the cheapest gas station in my area, and checked out Kohl's Dept store to see if they had any stuffed bulldogs. (Kohl's periodically sells $5 plush toys for charity and they're advertising characters from Rio 2.) One of my girl friends is a big bulldog fanatic and I thought she'd really like Luiz. But of course they sold the last two yesterday and aren't sure if there's any in the next shipment. Get to the gym, the parking lot is packed and all the ellipticals are in use. Plus someone's boxing one of the machines. I plug in my iPod only to have it give me a Plug Into Power Source warning which I've never seen before. I charged it two days ago, but it's possible that I didn't turn the iPod off when I put it away yesterday. Sigh.

Luckily, there are a few tunes on my iPhone that downloaded automatically when I'd purchased a song for my iPod. Thank you Apple! I don't normally plug into my phone because it's unwieldy enough to fall out of most of my pockets. Today I happen to be wearing an old pair of mesh Nike running pants that just happen to have pockets. Most of my workout pants don't. I can stuff the phone into my pants pocket and still workout. Yay! There are no ellipticals to use so I clamber onto the Step Mill for just 15 minutes. I have no idea what all these steps translate into for distance but livestrong.com has a formula for converting steps to inches to miles (number of steps x 17" / 63,360" [inches in a mile]) but I suspect that it doesn't translate into very much.

The Nexersys are free by the time I get done with my quick Cage Stretch. I wrap my hands and stuff them into my gloves. By the time I'm done, they'll be sodden. At home, I toss the wraps into my mesh nylon lingerie bag along with other delicates and toss it all into the washing machine. I'm a lot worse on the Beginner rounds today, but better on the Intermediate rounds. I'm not sure why. I'm still stopping the machine by punching, kneeing and kicking too hard in the Beginner rounds so that's definitely detracting from my accuracy score. And trying to pull my punches is detracting from my power score. I fair better in the Intermediate round and get a good rhythm going. I find that my accuracy improves a lot when I hop forward for each blow or kick and then step back slightly. It's so humid that I'm drenched way before the rounds are over.

I skip doing abs altogether today. By now the cardio platform is nearly deserted so I climb onto one of the Precors. I'd like to get 4 miles, but I don't want to be here all day. So I settle for 3 miles, paying absolutely no attention to the heart rate monitor except to pull back when it screams 190. The gym scale reads 112.8 lbs and I look like a drowned rat. Whatever. I still have a bunch of errands to do, like catching a sale at the CVS to pick up more Ensure High Protein drinks. The nice thing about living in a small town is that the clerks all know you and everyone's so friendly and helpful. The store only has 3 cartons and I was hoping to buy 4 because buying one entitles you to the 2nd at half price. Plus I have a $6 coupon if I spend $30. I can't because they don't have 4 to sell me. So they override the computer and give me the $6 off anyway. And take 25% off the 3rd carton. I'm all smiles.

"Is this good" the clerk asks me, "because I'm trying to lose some weight. Can I drink this for lunch?"
"I like it. It has the highest protein of all the RTD, and 300 mg calcium as well."
"I heard using protein drinks is really good for weight loss," she continues.
"I like to drink it after I work out," I venture, "but it's kind of expensive so I like to buy 4 when I have a 25-30% off coupon, but you never have 4 for me to buy."
"Well, next time you get a coupon, tell us ahead of time before the coupon expires and we'll order it special for you. But we need that UPC code."
"Wow, I didn't know I could do that," I gush.
"Oh sure," the clerk smiles.

Cardio Thursday

15 min Matrix Step Mill = 811 steps

Cage Stretch

Nexersys 5 rounds Beginner Follow Me Avatar
  Accuracy 79% / Strikes 95% / Average Power 141%

Nexersys 9 rounds Intermediate Follow Me Avatar
  Accuracy 72% / Strikes 98% / Average Power 109%

37 min Precor elliptical = 3.02 miles

photos posted for actual stats:



No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...