Friday, May 16, 2014

Doing Cardio is Doing Legs, Right?

I got to the gym today and wondered how hard my Leg Workout was going to be. Because damn it, I'm tired. My husband went to the office yesterday and got told he had to attend a "celebration" in Boston from 5-7 pm, but that didn't include dinner. That was just for drinking and schmoozing. My husband doesn't drink so he texted me at 7:30 pm to tell me he was starving and on his way home. I suggested he stop off in Sturbridge MA where a friend had recommended a BBQ place called BT Smokehouse. He made it there before closing time and proceeded to rave about their pulled pork. "It's better than Big W!" But Big W is closer and still the best local BBQ place. When he finally got home, he had a bag of take-out ribs, a brisket sandwich for me, and chicken for my son. But it was 11 pm and I was already in bed, although not asleep yet.

Still, I didn't get to sleep until well past midnight. My son took the chicken sandwich to school for lunch today because almost anything is better than school pizza. I'm probably tired from the accumulated mileage I've been putting in as well. Today wasn't any better. It's Leg Day, and I justify my time on the elliptical by telling myself that cardio is a Leg exercise as well. My hammies and glutes certainly feel it after four and a half miles. I peer down at the Smith machine and Big Dude with Glasses is using it. I saw him flat bench 3 plates a few weeks ago so that's like 315 lbs. I don't bother people or hover because I hate it when people do it to me. So I clamber up the Step Mill for 10 minutes until the Smith is free.

Smith Squats hurt today. Or at least the first several sets. My knees, hip and lower back don't seem to hurt as much at the heavier weight and I'm not quite sure why. Maybe they're finally recovered from the cardio? I actually do a tiny bit better than last week with the Smith SLDL although 8 reps is still as long as I can hold onto the bar at 160 lbs. Today I change things up a little. After an abbreviated Cage Stretch (just hammies and calves), I do a slightly lighter set of Seated Leg Extensions and skip the Seated or Lying Leg Curls. Instead I grab a bosu ball and try to figure out how to do a Glute-Ham Raise at the Lat Pull Down station. It's 3 sets but they feel weird, especially since it's hard for me not to think I'm doing push ups off the bosu, although I don't actually feel any stress in my chest or arms. I'm also pretty sure that folks on the cardio platform are wondering just what the heck I'm doing. Yeah, I'd like to know too.


And just for fun, I get back on the Precor for a last 20 minutes of cardio. Total mileage for today is 6.62 miles. I'm probably going to regret not doing a full mat stretch afterwards, but it's threatening to pour later and I have errands to do. And a brisket sandwich waiting for me in the fridge.

Friday Leg and Cardio Workout

(cut and pasted from my JeFit log)

Elliptical Training
Calorie :   412 CAL
Distance: 4.74 mile
Speed :    --
Lap/Rep :  --
Duration : 00:50:00

Step Machine
N/A
Calorie :   78 CAL
Distance : --
Speed :    --
Lap/Rep :  530 Laps/Reps
Duration : 00:10:00

Smith Machine Squat
Set 1 : 30x25
Set 2 : 80x12
Set 3 : 120x12
Set 4 : 140x12
Set 5 : 160x12

Smith Machine Stiff Legged Deadlift
Set 1 : 30x12
Set 2 : 80x12
Set 3 : 120x12
Set 4 : 140x12
Set 5 : 160x8
Set 6 : 160x8

Leg Extensions
Set 1 : 120x12
Set 2 : 120x12
Set 3 : 120x12





No Entry in this app for Glute-Ham Raises
3x10 but I don't think they're all glutes since I'm bouncing off the bosu ball at the bottom of the movement

Elliptical Training
N/A
Calorie :   163 CAL
Distance: 1.88 mile
Speed :    --
Lap/Rep :  --
Duration : 00:20:00

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...