Thursday, May 15, 2014

Cardio Again and Again

I'm getting used to doing the 2 miles "warm up" before hitting my workout, and then ending with another 3 miles. Breaking it up definitely makes cardio easier. I ran out of time yesterday and just copied and pasted my workout without any comments. I do want to note that not only did I add a set of 20-reppers (that's 3 sets of 20-reppers) to the RG BB Row, but my 2nd set at 155 got me 15 reps. Then I got worried that all this exertion was going to ruin my V-handle (close neutral) grip Lat Pull Downs. Pacing myself definitely helped.

Today is my 2nd "boxing" day of the week and I wanted to include Tabata into my 2 mile warm up. All the Precors were busy so I hopped up onto one of the LifeFitness cross-trainers by the front door. Because its display is different, I had a bit of trouble keeping track of the 20 second /10 second intervals that I use as a beginner. That is until I remembered my son showing me how to change the settings while we on LifeFitness treadmills one day. It figures my 9-yr old is now showing me things on exercise equipment. The LF seems to register a more accurate heart rate when it registers anything at all. And like the Precor, the heart rate monitor is oddly blank during Tabata.

I do a quick Cage Stretch and then plop myself in front of the Nexersys. It's raining and the humidity doesn't help at all. I look like I've climbed out of the pool when I'm done. Again, the machine tells me I'm hitting too hard and then detracts from my strikes and accuracy. Some strikes, like the Lead (Left Leg) Sweep, don't even register. My Power (right) Hook keep stopping the machine until the Intermediate Level. I like doing a few rounds at Beginner just to get warmed up with basic movements. But it's frustrating to have to pull punches in order to score.

The gym is now offering a Cardio Kickboxing class on Friday evenings, but only from May through June. I hear that it's totally packed and everyone leaves completely sodden, and happy. Since there's such interest, maybe the class will become permanent. I like to think that it's because people want a body like mine. All kidding aside, who really knows what motivates people.

Yesterday morning selfie
The gym scale is kinder today at 112.6 lbs. I know I've dropped some water because I can see it in my face. I'm digging out my summer clothes and am a bit dismayed that a camp shirt that fit last year seems to have shrunk over the winter. The arms are too snug, and the shirt seems kind of short. Hmmm. I'm pretty sure it's me. I'm just going to keep at this program for a few months and see where it gets me. So far I'm not losing strength or size. Just building endurance. I'm okay with that for now.

At my eye doc appointment yesterday, my doc asked me if I exercised because exercise can lower eye pressure. I'm on two brand-name eye drops and my IOP measured at 15 and 14. Not great because he was hoping for 12. I tell him I do 5 miles a day and he says, "Well, I'm not going to tell you to do 10." My eye pressure fluctuates from 14 to 17 so he's hesitant to do anything other than keep close watch on it. On the other hand, my visual field test showed a slight improvement which suggests that my vision is stable for now. It's a bit scary when all the docs tell you your optic nerve is 80% damaged. And yet, I can read the eye chart without glasses. Go figure.

Thursday Workout

2 miles LifeFitness crosstrainer (includes 4 min Tabata 20 sec On/ 10 sec Off)

Cage Stretch

Nexersys 5 rounds Beginner Follow Me Avatar
  Accuracy 85% / Strikes 98% / Average Power 143%

Nexersys 9 rounds Intermediate Follow Me Avatar
  Accuracy 79% / Strikes 97% / Average Power 108% 

3 miles Precor elliptical

50 Crunches / 50 Knee to Elbow Crunches / 50 Crunches


Photos posted for actual stats:



No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...