Monday, May 5, 2014

Five Mile Push Day

For some reason 5 miles has stuck in my head so I've been trying to come close to this as a goal without remembering exactly why. I look it up and find that 5 miles a day is what's recommended for people who want to lose weight. I recall doing 4-5 miles a day on the elliptical when I first started working out, the weight dropping slowly but consistently. So I'm back at it. Except that now I'm trying to keep my heart rate within guidelines. Because there's no consistent correlation between how fast I'm moving and my heart rate, I'm constantly adjusting my pace, and consequently, the duration. Today, 3 miles takes me a bit over 35 minutes. I know this is going to be bad for lifting, but I'm not trying to increase my strength anymore. I just want to preserve what I have while dropping a bit of this recently accumulated fat.

My wrists are feeling a bit off but they'll probably warm up and be fine later. I do a slower progression on the Bench Press so that I can not only get sets at 115 lbs, but also a set or two of the final 95 lb 20-repper. I'm cautious and so happy that I don't need anyone to spot me. I see all the regulars, M, The Mayor, Tall Pace, Short Pace, ZZ, B, SnowBird, Hannibal Baggy Knees.

Then I move to the Incline Bench for just 5 sets. My right shoulder feels a little "touch and go", but nothing hurts. The reps on the last set have an almost two-part feel to the movement, which I've never noticed before. I can't get the bar to touch my chest but just as it comes down to cheek height, my shoulders and elbows seem to drop back as the bar descends. But the press up is one smooth movement. I can see the odd V-shape of my triceps when my arms are overhead. Well, at least I can see them here. Otherwise, I think the backs of my arms have that nasty dimpled look and I hope that the pinkness isn't something awful like stretch marks.

I know I can go heavier than 20 lbs for the DB Lateral Raise but I don't think I can get 6 good sets of 12 reps if I do. So I stick with this. Last week I definitely felt the delt work while I was boxing the Nexersys. I have to adjust the bar to move it out of the way in the Seated Overhead Press rack which I use for Bent-Over DB Reverse Flyes. It's one of the few pieces of equipment that hasn't been replaced by the oversized Matrix® brand Breaker benches. My feet sit comfortably on the ground here. I stick with using 30 lb DBs because again, I want 6 good sets of 12 reps.

The last movement is for Triceps and I'm determined to do a few Rip Crushers. I like using the Breaker bench for this, sitting backwards in it with my feet up on the platform supporting the bench stays. When I'm done, I can hook my feet under it and pull myself upright without much effort. I keep the EZ bar light, only doing three sets of 12 reps. My Rogue® Pro-Loc collars make this so easy to adjust. I feel like Felix the Cat with his little bag of tricks.

I do a hundred or so twisting sit ups before checking out what's available on the Cardio platform. I know I want two more miles so it's back to the Precor. Tomorrow, I'll do the Step Mill if it's free. I don't feel anything when using the rowing machine, or the recumbent bike, and the bike tends to bother my left knee so it's totally not worth the time. The Mayor is red-faced and sweaty on a different elliptical machine. I do my two miles but other than my face getting a bit flushed, I'm not really sweaty. What's frustrating is watching the heart rate monitor dance all over the place (88-205) while I pedal along at 170 Strides Per Minute. By the last 5 minutes though, things seem to have settled down a bit and my heart rate bumps along at 155 BPM.

A full Mat Stretch including Dive Bomber Push Ups and a 60-second plank follow. I feel okay. I have a lot of things to do back home. My husband is back in Boston for the week, might be back in time for the Cub Scout Den Meeting this Friday, or not. And will probably be gone for a seminar this coming weekend, when my son has a play date in Ct. On Mother's Day. At least we have delicious ribs to eat all week. All I have to do is heat and serve.

Push Day and Five Miles

35 min Precor elliptical = 3.11 miles

BB Bench Press
15x45 lbs (bar)
12x95 lbs
12x105 lbs
10x115 lbs
8x115 lbs
8x115 lbs
20x95 lbs
18, 2x95 lbs (that second set of 20-repper was really tough)

Inclined BB Press
12x45 lbs (bar)
12x65 lbs
10x85 lbs
10x85 lbs
12x85 lbs

Standing DB Lateral Raises
6x12x20 lbs

Seated Bent-Over DB Reverse Flyes
6x12x30 lbs

Rip Crushers
12x15 lbs (EZ Bar)
3x12x37.5 lbs (using Rogue ProLoc collars)

125 twisting sit ups

22 minutes Precor elliptical = 2.02 miles

Mat Stretch with 2x12 DBPUs and 60-second plank, splits, upper & lower back stretches

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...