Monday, May 12, 2014

Hit or Miss

Over the weekend I got curious about something I'd noticed sporadically while I work out: an ammonia smell that made me think I'd peed myself. Of course I hadn't but when you're a 50+ woman in menopause, there's always the possibility that body parts are failing without the courtesy of informing you beforehand. I drink a lot of water when I work out, nearly the entire 1.5 liter bottle of purified RO (reverse osmosis) water. I eat a breakfast consisting of complex and simple carbs, a bit of protein and some fat: instant espresso with raw sugar and half & half, and a bowl of oatmeal with an egg, raw sugar (or honey or maple syrup) and sometimes raisins. For variety, I toss a teaspoon of Hershey's unsweetened cocoa powder either into my coffee or my oatmeal, making either mocha coffee or dutch chocolate cereal. An article in the NYTimes suggested that cocoa has a lot of useful anti-oxidants and since a whole tablespoon is only 10-12 calories, I'm not going to deny myself an occasional cocoa treat.

Several internet sources state that this ammonia smell is a sign of ketosis so of course I'm concerned that I'm losing my hard-earned muscles although I don't see any evidence of that so far. But I'm also trying to get my body to burn fat. And I don't see any evidence of that either. But I'm impatient. I front-load my cardio today again, and 45 minutes gives me three and three quarter miles. My heart rate reads so erratically on the Precor (from 202 to 130) that I give up and focus on my speed instead. Afterwards, I set up for a few sets of Bench Press. I'm nervous because I don't don't know where my fail point is anymore, figuring that the cardio has probably negatively affected my strength. I skip from 95 lbs directly to 115 lbs and get my three sets at 8 reps. I'm surprised. I'm even more surprised when I get two sets of 20-reppers at 95 lbs. Most of the regulars are MIA today, but there are a lot of young new faces to take their places. School is almost over and the local HS is probably a quarter mile from the gym.

Both Inclined Benches are occupied so I grab a pair of DBs and drape my towel over one of the Adjustable Inclined Benches. I hate these benches: too wide, too high off the ground. 20 lbs is too easy so the next set is a pair of 25s. Then a pair of 30s. I see that both Inclined BB Benches are free now so I decide to do a few sets there. I know this is going to suck because I've already done three sets with DBs. But I stick to my routine and do my five sets. The Standing DB Lateral Raises and Seated Bent-Over DB Reverse Flyes are also routine: 6 sets of 12 reps. I almost forget to do triceps. But I don't. And I know these are a potential disaster.

I start the first set of Rip Crushers with just an EZ bar. No problem. Then I add a pair of 10s to the bar and my own Rogue collars because I'm not going to wrestle with those stupid spring clips. This set is hard but not impossible. If I was smart, I'd stick to sets of this, like last week. But I add a pair of 5s to the bar just to see. I start to falter on the 12th rep so I know to expect less for the next two sets. I get 8, and then barely 5 for the last set. I know what failing feels like.

I skip abs because I'm lazy although I do a turn at the Torso Twist machine because hopping onto one of the LifeFitness ellipticals by the front door. That heart rate monitor seems more reasonable, or perhaps my heart has simmered down to a regular rhythm because 20 minutes gives me two miles and an average heart rate of 132 BPM. Very reasonable. I do my Mat Stretch, and skip the plank although I keep the Dive Bomber Push Ups. The gym scale reads 114.4 lbs which is more than I was expecting, but considering how sodium sensitive I am, and all the salty foods I eat on the weekends, well, it shouldn't come as a surprise. Tomorrow will be better.

Push Day and Cardio

45 min Precor elliptical = 3.8 miles

BB Bench Press
12 x 45 lbs (bar)
12 x 95 lbs
3 x 8 x 115 lbs
2 x 20 x 95 lbs (for fun)

DB Inclined Press
12 x 20 lbs (each hand)
12 x 25 lbs
12 x 30 lbs

BB Inclined Press
12 x 45 lbs (bar)
12 x 65 lbs
3 x 8 x 85 lbs

Standing DB Lateral Raise
6 x 12 x 20 lbs

Seated Bent-Over DB Reverse Flye
6 x 12 x 30 lbs

Rip Crusher
12 x 15 lbs (EZ bar)
12 x 37.5 lbs (2.5 lbs Rogue ProLoc collars)
12, 8, 5 x 47.5 lbs (last set did 5 reps and couldn't do another)

Torso Twist machine
2 x 25 x 50 lbs

20 min LifeFitness elliptical = 2.02 miles

Mat Stretch with 2 x 12 Dive Bomber Push Ups, splits, lower & upper back stretches

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...