Friday, October 11, 2013

Last Day of De-Load

Well, having to take a week off from weight lifting has certainly taught me a few things, like I'm still a gym rat junkie, I can't do without at least 35 minutes of cardio (elliptical) and stretching, and I'm having a great time boxing the Nexersys station although I'm not entirely sure it constitutes a full body workout. I do leave it completely drenched and feeling mildly euphoric, so perhaps...

Today I hop on my favorite Precor and punch in Interval 7 which is, by far, my favorite program. I feel good when it's over although I note a little fatigue in my legs and lower back. I've done better mileage, but this is acceptable. On a normal week, I would've punched in a second session of Interval 8 but I don't today. Instead I look for a free ab station. Only the sit up board is available so I knock out 125  sit ups. The ab crunch station and the torso twist have elderly people moving in slow motion. Well, at least they're moving.

I get to the Cage Stretch and do my routine hamstring stretch, side kicks, heel dips and calf raises. I'm still sweating from the cardio but I can't use the Nexersys with my hoodie on so I strip it off and wrap my hand, pile all my gear under the Nexersys monitor and punch in 7 rounds Beginner Female Avatar Follow Me program. For the first few rounds I don't score any kick points until I figure out that it's not enough to kick the pads so hard that the buzzer sounds and a warning screen pops up. If I manage to kick the pad right square in the X, then it registers. Otherwise, nadda.

There's a fellow on the station next to me, wailing away. I gather he's just sparring. This is the most rounds I've ever done continuously, although there are two-minute rest pauses between each three-minute round. During that time you can see how well or poorly you're doing, and what combinations the machine will likely toss at you for the next round. When I focus on the actual kicks and punches, I sometimes lose power so I have to concentrate really hard to do both. It's probably why I'm so drenched by the time I'm done. All that concentration. LOL! Because I've done 7 rounds in total, I decide not to do a Sparring session. Gotta leave something in the tank. For some reason, people stare when I'm wailing on the machine but not so much when it's a guy doing it. I should be used to it. People tend to stare when I come off the Mats too. Not to be obnoxious, but I tend to ignore everyone. Hey, it's a gym. Where you work out. Duh.

I don't bring my standard RTD protein beverage (Ensure High Protein, yes an old people nutritional supplement) today because I figure I'll go home and mix up that strawberry Qwik flavored protein mix my husband bought at GNC. I complained about getting a headache from it last time but my husband suggested that I try it again, just because maybe it was some other factor. Again, I only use 1 scoop and mix it with lactose-free skim milk. It certainly tastes loads better than the Muscle Milk strawberry RTD which has such a nasty bitter aftertaste that you just absolutely don't want to eat anything at all for hours afterwards. A half hour later and I find myself grinding my teeth with a vague headache, again like I've eaten cold medicine with phenylalanine in it. I need a magnifier to read the list of stuff in this Wheybolic mix... yep, sure enough, there's phenylalanine in it. Blech! I can't imagine taking 3 scoops of this stuff at a time! It doesn't seem to bother my husband but he's already eaten all the pseudoephedrine in the house due to allergies. He's probably immune.

Monday is Columbus Day and I'm hoping everyone goes away on holiday so that I can go to the gym and get a decent workout. Well, not everyone. I'll probably need someone to spot me. Sigh.

Today's Work Out:
35 min Interval 8 = 4.41 miles Yay!
Flat Bench Twisting Sit Ups: 125
Cage Stretch with BW heel dips & calf raises and side kicks
Nexersys Station: 7 rounds Follow Me Avatar, beginner female
57% accuracy / 97% strikes / 118% power
Mat Stretch with 12 wide legged DBPUs, 3 rolling, 12 regular stance DBPUs, splits, etc

Again the Nexersys recommendation is that I add rounds because "outpacing and over power for your level". Yes, I admit the warning buzzer went off after every single punch or kick for one or two rounds. Oh well...

Follow Me 7 rounds
Break down of the Follow Me rounds, first round at top, last round at bottom.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...