Wednesday, October 9, 2013

If I'm Cutting Back Why Don't I Have More Time?

Today is normally Leg Day which includes Double Cardio session, Squats, Dead Lifts of some sort, and other assorted exercises. Not today. I get to the gym a bit late so as to avoid the locker room clusterf#ck but there's still a gaggle of middle-aged women screaming salutations at each other. I can't wait to plug in my headphones, zip up my hoodie and skiddaddle out of there. I am soooo not social before my workouts, even an abbreviated one. I toy with the idea of doing two cardio sessions because I feel so good afterwards, but I figure this is an experiment so I should stick to the set parameters: 1 cardio session, no weights. There's a dude peddling furiously on the "tractor". I'm glad my elliptical (#1) is free. Monday I did Hill #5. Yesterday was Hill #6. Today will be Interval program #7. I'm actually a bit sore although I'm not sure why considering all I did yesterday was cardio, stretch, abs and oh yeah, that's right, a few rounds on the Nexersys. I usually do it on a Friday so if I'm sore from it, I hadn't noticed since I don't workout on weekends.

Today I've noticed. My right elbow is complaining as well, which is weird because throwing punches and jabs shouldn't aggravate this. I ignore myself for the moment and concentrate on getting my speed up so I can finally feel warm. By the end of 35 minutes, I'm nicely moistened and the soreness has mostly gone from my limbs. Cage Stretch is next. Afterwards, since I'm not doing weights, I do 25 body weight squats, heels to butt, as fast as I can go. I'm not really sure of the difference between these and deep knee bends either. Then I do abs because it'll loosen up my lower back which felt a tad stiff during Cage Stretch. First twisting sit ups. I hate losing count and now I'm not sure if I've done 100 or not so I add another 25 just to make sure. I haven't done Kick Outs (don't know what they're really called but you position yourself at the edge of a flat bench, hands holding the sides of the bench slightly behind you, bring knees to chest, then kick out legs straight in front) in a long time so I do 100 of those. I can really feel them in my lower abs. I stopped doing them for two reasons: creepy "PJ Pants" (who I haven't seen in weeks now) would sit himself at the ab machine directly in front of me and just blatantly stare while I did them (you'd think I was giving lap dances), and when wearing the wrong workout pants, the back seam tends to leave a nasty abrasion right on the tail bone. Ouch.

Again, the Mats are full of middle-aged people lounging. They might actually be napping. Okay, they're stretching but my stretching is a lot more dynamic, even when I do splits. Probably because I'm plugged in to a beat-driven cardio mix that's a lot like dance music. So again, I go off to the hallway in the back and pull out one of the older really thick squishy mats. I do my Dive Bomber Push Ups on the floor and wonder if I'm doing them right. I watched several videos on form and I think I'm doing them correctly, even if I can get 10 and they suggest 5. The second video I watched even stated to do them wide-legged! I do that, and then do another 10 with a regular stance. It's harder, but not impossible. When I'm done, I decide to do another set of 25 body weight speed squats, heels to butt as fast as I can go. And then, WTH... I want to see how many push ups I can do. So I get to 30, pause for a second at the top of the movement, get to 40, pause for another half a second and get 50. I'm pleased. Now, I'm done. And ready for a nice hot shower. I'm also starving again. WTF. In the car, I suck down the 25 gm protein RTD. But by the time I get home (had the weekly groceries to deal with) I'm ravenous again. This sucks. I'm never this hungry this soon when I do a regular workout. WTF!

Wednesday Workout
35 min cardio Interval7 = 4.70 miles Yay!
Cage Stretch with BW Heel Dips & Calf Raises and Side Kicks
25 BW speed squats heels to butt
Flat Bench Twisting Sit Ups: 125 (?)
Lower Ab Kick Outs: 100
Ab Crunch Station: 100
Mat Stretch with 10 wide-legged DBPUs, 3 rolling, 10 regular-stance DBPUs, splits, lower back & hip &hamstring stretches, etc
25 BW speed squats heels to butt
50 push ups (1 set with a 1 sec pause at rep 30 and a half a second pause at rep 40)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...