Friday, October 18, 2013

How Can I Give Up Something That Feels So Good?

I was just about to leave for the gym this morning when I glanced over at the fish bowl and realized that my son's Betta was an unnatural whitish color (uh oh) and was wedged head down along the tank heater. He seemed fine yesterday but last night, when my son wished him a good night, I noticed the fish's off color. Sigh. I'm not sure why it died. He's the 3rd fish we've had but at least I know why the other one's died: the first one sustained a terrible fish concussion when I was cleaning the tank, and the second one was accidentally overfed. Fish number three was only fed every two or three days, and he'd survived the last two tank cleanings without incident. So now I have the unpleasant task of telling my son that the fish died, and cleaning the tank. I'm sure he'll want another one.

This is par for the course when you have pets: life and then, death, and all its messiness. But we soldier on, accepting unpleasant tasks because in the end, it's worth it. Doing Double Cardio days isn't quite as messy as burying dead possums and cleaning out dead fish, but it sure is unpleasant. My quads and hamstrings are stiff when I start cardio session one. Again, I'm on Precor #3 so I'll be happy just to make four miles. My routine is to do Interval 7 first, take a quick breather and a swig of water, then run Interval 8. I really hate Interval 8 because it's so hard. Today, I actually drop the level down from 6 to 5 because my ankles are complaining about the resistance. I try to pick up my speed at the end of the program but I can't sustain it more than a minute or two. Still, I'm happy to make my quota. Today I get to whack the Nexersys and it makes me giddy.

Yes, that's me in the mirror!
First I get my Cage Stretch out of the way. Then the Nexersys. I wrap both hands today before donning my gloves because my left knuckles got stung last week. Hey, that means my left is getting stronger, right? I do 5 rounds of Follow Me and am pleased that my accuracy is improving. The buzzer goes off a lot though, but not as much as during the three sparring rounds. Power is great during Follow Me, but less during Sparring because I'm concentrating so hard on blocking all the punches, and making the avatar image glow red. When I'm done my hair and clothes are completely soaked through, but I feel lighter than air. I love this feeling.

By the time I get to the Mat, I'm so drenched that I've decided to skip doing Abs. My right hamstring has been twitching oddly and before I sink into a split, it cramps. Not a full blown contraction, but enough to have me sit down on my butt and stretch my leg out, heel pointed out. The rest of the stretch is uneventful. As I put retie my shoelaces, I notice R and RR in the bench area. R is grimacing as he places himself under the bar and I know it's his back. It makes me shudder a little. What I really want is a hot shower so I don't bother to interact with anyone. The gym scale reads 108.4 lbs. That's reasonable. And I'm looking forward to being a slug for the next two days.

Friday Workout:
35 min Interval 7 = 4.32 miles + 35 min Interval 8 = 4.24  Grand Total = 8.56 miles Yay!
Cage Stretch with BW heel dips & calf raises and side kicks
Nexersys: 5 rounds Follow Me (beginner female)
73% accuracy / 105% strikes / 122% power
Nexersys: 3 rounds Sparring (beginner female)
209% strikes / 83% power / 942  points 
Mat Stretch with 12 wide legged DBPUs, 3 rolling, 12 regular stance DBPUs, splits, stretches, etc...

photos posted for actual stats:
 Follow Me
Follow Me
 Sparring
Sparring

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...