Friday, October 4, 2013

Ending the Week on a High Note

Again the parking lot is so full it looks as if perhaps the cinema is giving away free tickets. But I don't think so. It's unnervingly warm at 60°F and temps promise to soar into the 80s. That's unnatural for October in the northeast. Luckily, I brought shorts and a tank top to change into later. Wooly bear caterpillars are underfoot everywhere. My son believes this forebodes a harsh winter and he's worried that Halloween will yet again be canceled as it has been for the past two years.

Because I have errands to do beforehand, I get to the gym a little later than usual. A big old man is on my favorite elliptical. I don't want to use the "tractor". Precor #3 has a blank screen so I kick the power plug and it magically springs to life. Number 3 glides better than any of the other Precors but the resistance setting seems harder. For the past two weeks I've left the default settings alone figuring my knees would adapt to the harder Level 6. Is this why I'm so tired? I doubt it. Interval 7 is hard today but I manage to salvage my dignity by logging in a bit over four miles. After blotting my face, blowing my nose and retying my shoelaces which have come undone during the first session, I punch in another 30 minutes of Intervals. I must be nuts. And I punch in grueling #8. I try to pace myself, allowing myself to drop to as slow as 165 SPM. Halfway through the workout, I drop the Level from 6 to 5 because my kneecap hurts a little and there's an ache in the right ITB. It doesn't make that much of a difference. I'm really surprised when my mileage comes in a tad better than the first session. Yay!

I have on a pair of featherweight running pants that I've had in the drawer for some time. I realize today that they're perfect for my double cardio days because they don't chafe my thighs the way most shorts do, and they don't stick to me when I'm completely sodden. The Cage Stretch feels really good. Actually, I feel really good, not tired, not stiff. It's as if I'm finally fully awake. The Mats are empty and I know I'm bouncing through my routine. I feel like dancing. I do the entire routine and then head off to the locker room. I don't do abs today because my clothes and hair are so wet, I'd have to mop the ab stations afterwards.

Using half a wrap under the pink kickboxing gloves seems to work well. No more bloody knuckles. Yay! After a 3 round session with the Follow Me Avatar where I scored big zeros for the Lead Kick and Power Kick portion, I ask P, the gym owner, to explain what I'm doing wrong. I tell him that in Sparring I can register kicks, but not in the Follow Me training program. He sets the program up for Intermediate and proceeds to show me how the program needs you to hit the opposite pad of what you think you're suppose to be kicking. It's a bit retarded. "It took me over a month to figure this out," he says when I tell him I can't hear the training portions. "Yeah, no one can hear them," he admits.
Arms look pretty good!

I do better on the second session of Follow Me, but by the 2nd round, I'm befuddled and confused as to which pad I'm suppose to kick with which leg. I regain my composure by the last round though. Then I punch in 3 rounds of Sparring because I really enjoy this program. But I've never done 9 rounds total before and I start to tire. I'm pleased that I'm able to score well, but I see how my power has dropped from the Follow Me rounds. I've sucked down most of my water by now and sweat is again pouring off my face. I feel good although my right hand is stinging a bit. When I unwrap it, nothing is scabbed or bruised. I'm good! The gym scale reads 108.4 lbs. My gym bag is ridiculously heavy when I leave, because all my gym clothes are sopping wet.

Okay, I'm taking next week off. Well, not totally off. I'm going to try doing mild cardio although I'm not really sure what that means. What if I do cardio and I feel like crap? I always feel really good when I do a lot of cardio. Now I'm going to do less. And I won't lift weights. Maybe I'll try to figure out the Nexersys instead.

End of the Week Workout:
35 min Interval7 = 4.29 miles + 35 Interval8 = 4.30 miles  Grand Total = 8.59 miles Yay!
Cage Stretch with BW Heel Dips & Calf Raises and Side Kicks
Mat Stretch with 10 wide legged DBPUs, 5 rolling PUs, 10 regular stance DBPUs, splits, lower back and hip stretches, etc.
Nexersys Follow Me 3 rounds Beginner Female (accuracy 44%, strikes 108%, power 104%)
Follow Me 3 rounds Beginner Female (accuracy 60%, strikes 115%, power 103%)
Sparring 3 rounds Beginner Female (strikes 207%, power 75%, 899 points)

attached photos with stat breakdown:
Follow Me 3 rounds
Follow Me 3 rounds
Sparring 3 rounds

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...