Wednesday, October 2, 2013

I'll Probably Regret This Tomorrow But Dang It Felt Good Today

My online buds in another forum have been advising me to take a week off and rest because my fatigue sounds like over-training. I admit that I haven't taken any time off since I got a head cold last year. Normally I come down with one at least once or twice a year. Instead, I've managed to stave off illness by frantically popping zinc tablets and fish oil capsules. Every time I feel my lower eyelids burn a bit, I pop some zinc and drink juice. So far it's worked. Except that means I haven't actually ever taken more than three days off from exercise. I would've thought that three days is sufficient time to rest and recuperate, but consensus is a week is better.

Hhhmmm, I think maybe next week. And then I think, well, maybe I'll just do some cardio. And maybe a few rounds on the Nexersys a few times next week. It's not the same as lifting weights. But I'll have to stretch of course. I don't know if it'll be enough rest but I'm willing to try it at least once.

Today, however, is Leg Day. And Leg Day means Double Cardio. And weights. And stretching. My favorite elliptical is free. Heck, all the ellipticals are free today. I like to start with Interval 7 first. Not just because it gives me a morale boost, but also because it makes the following Hill 5 program feel so much easier. I barely make quota on the second session, but it's enough to give me over eight and a half miles in total. I'm good! I feel lighter than air. Must be those endorphins kicking in. I'm hooked.

The weight area is fairly empty. I see M and "Nixon" at the far end chatting with some others. I figure I'll do a few Smith machine squats, see how I feel, then maybe some Stiff-Legged Dead Lifts. My lower back has been fairly silent so far. I cut my reps today to see how it feels, but still do 3 sets at the heaviest. The crunchy bubbles are coupled with a tiny amount of lower back discomfort when I approach parallel. So again, I don't make parallel at the heaviest weight. I don't think I can handle going any heavier. There's not enough meat on my upper back and even with a thick neoprene pad, the bar makes me feel every vertebrae at the base of my neck. My lower back feels a little odd, but I'm okay as I drop the weights. I manage full butt-to-heel speed squats with just the bar before and after the weighted sets so I'm satisfied that it was a decent workout.

My lower back feels a bit stiff now but I do a light set of SLDLs with just the bar anyway. Then I decide, WTF and toss the 25s on. It's okay. I toss a pair of 10s on. Still okay. I cut my reps though. Then I add another pair of 10s because I figure I cut my reps, so WTF. It's heavy but it doesn't hurt. I could probably go heavier and do just a few reps. Maybe next time. Then I wonder how much I'm going to feel this tomorrow, if this is something I'm going to regret. Oh well, too late now.

"Ollie" keeps floating between being behind me and being next to me. He's alternating between DB shrugs and machine shrugs with half a dozen plates on each side. It's annoying. I probably wouldn't be as annoyed if he'd keep his eyes to himself while I was benching. Guys don't seem to realize how we keep track of behavior. We know when a guy's being a dickhead even if they don't.

I'm still dripping sweat when I stretch out at the Cage. I've ditched my hoodie on the railing again. Getting my foot over my head has gotten a lot easier in the past few weeks. I've only been working on it for a good part of a year now. I hold my breath as I approach the Cybex machines and hope that the Seated Leg Curl or Seated Leg Extensions are free. Usually it's occupied but today I'm in luck. I have to adjust the seat to the closest setting, and the leg bar to the shortest length. And still, I don't quite fit the way I should. I have to brace my palms against the roll bar with my hips pushed forward in order to have my ankles hit the pads in the proper spot to leg curl. (I don't fit into the Lying Leg Curl, and the Standing Leg Curl hurts my knees, probably because I'm not tall enough to position myself properly.) But I can move some weight. I up the weight and drop the reps for each set. Then I try to get 3 sets at the heaviest weight. Today it's only 127.5 lbs. My legs are a little burnt right now.

I fare better with the Seated Leg Extensions which I fit in a tad better, although it's all I can do to grip the ends of the handles alongside the seat. Today I get my last set at 135 lbs. That's a personal best (PB) and I even managed to squeeze out six reps instead of the four I was shooting for. Yay! Then, before Mat Stretch, I knock out abs just because there's no reason not to. Crunches first. My lower back is starting to stiffen up so I knock out extra sit ups before doing the Torso Twist machine. The Mat stretch feels really good and I'm happy.

The gym scale reads 109.8 lbs. I'm not surprised and I don't mind being heavier. I just don't want to be bigger 'cuz I like the way my clothes fit now. If cutting my reps means getting stronger, I'm all for it! There are some areas though that I want to maintain muscular endurance. Like arms. There is just nothing quite as fun as raining blows on the Nexersys avatar. Well, almost...

Endorphin-Pumping Leg Day Workout:
35 min Interval 7 = 4.51miles + 35 min Hill 5 = 4.03 miles  Grand Total = 8.54 miles Wahoo! 

Smith machine Squats: 25 butt to heels speed squats w bar (let's say it's 30 lbs) / 12 @ 80 lbs / 10 @ 100 lbs / 8 @ 120 lbs / 3 x 6 @ 140 lbs / 8 @ 120 lbs / 10 @ 100 lbs / 12 @ 80 lbs / 25 heels to butt with just the bar (30 lbs)

Smith machine SLDLs: 12 @ bar (30 lbs) / 12 @ 80 lbs / 10 @ 100 lbs / 8 @ 120 lbs / 10 @ 100 lbs / 12 @ 80 lbs

Cage Stretch with BW Heel Dips & Calf Raises and Side Kicks

Seated Leg Curl: 12 @ 90 lbs / 10 @ 105 lbs / 8 @ 120 lbs / 3 x 6 @ 127. 5 lbs
Seated Leg Extension: 12 @ 90 lbs / 10 @ 105 lbs / 8 @ 120 lbs / 6 @ 127.5 lbs / 6 @ 135 lbs (PB)

Ab Crunch Station: 100
Flat Bench Twisting Sit Ups: 150
Torso Twist Machine: 2 x 25 @ 50 lbs

Mat Stretch with 10 wide-legged DBPUs, 3 gliding PUs (they're technically not push ups but I'm not sure what to call them -- torso glides back and forth with arms bending at elbow, hands stationery, legs splayed, it's all upper arm/shoulder), 10 regular-stance DBPUs, splits, back, shoulder, neck, hip and hamstring stretches, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...