Monday, October 14, 2013

I Need A Better Plan

I've been reading some of the other workout logs and it dawns on me that I need a better plan. I need to know exactly what exercise I'm going to do for how much weight, how many reps and sets. Because right now, all I got is the first one. I know what movement I'm doing, but I'm basically winging it when it comes to how heavy and how many. I'm running on intuition, on how I happen to feel and how badly my joints hurt. And just because I've gotten this far doesn't mean I know what I'm doing. I'm constantly looking up new terms, reading about different techniques and theories about body mechanics, trying to figure out how to apply what's reasonable to someone of my size and stature. After all, I'm not a power lifter. I'm not a bodybuilder either. Nor am I an MMA fighter. What I am is a petite middle-aged woman trying to combine the best of all worlds in one tight package.

Today is my first day back lifting weights in about a week. It's also Columbus Day which means I've gotten to the gym late because I have my son in tow. The gym is crowded, but not with regulars. After I warm up on the elliptical, I head to the Olympic bench area. There's no one I trust to spot me so I already know I won't bench my maximum today. Besides, it's my first day back. I cut all my reps, even in the warm up sets. My elbows seem sore from benching but I'm not sure why. I wrap my wrists and move deliberately because again, I'm using a thumbless grip. I get six reps at 115 lbs and then start to pyramid down, feeling a tad guilty because I know I'm capable of getting more reps. But I don't. Instead, I leave my maximum rep number at 12. I think briefly about doing other exercises but today is an abbreviated day: child care ends at 1 pm so I have a limited amount of time.

Because the Cage Stretch is being used, I do a set of twisting sit ups to kill time. After the Cage Stretch, I grab 4 magnetic discs and head back to the DB area, hoping to get one of the Inclined Benches. It's not too crowded there. I warm up with a set of 12 at 20 lbs, then swap them for 25 lb DBs. After each set of 12, I add a disc. At 30 lbs, I do 3 more sets. These feel pretty good but I'm sure I did more sets two weeks ago. Standing Lateral Raises are next. Again, I do a set at 20 lbs. Then with the 25s. I know I did more weight with fewer reps two weeks ago. This week, getting 3 sets of 12 at 25 feels rough.

I completely skip Upright BB Rows because I need time for Mat Stretch and showering. I do manage to squeeze in another half set of twisting sit ups and a set of lower ab kick outs. I see R stretching his shoulders and I ask him how he's doing. Going to get another shot for his back. I cringe, asking him if he's not worried about steroid shots causing tissue damage. He shrugs it off, saying It's better than surgery. He's too young for back surgery at 33. And again he tells me that he's never going for surgery again. I don't blame him. Later, I see him at the supermarket and I'm completely surprised. "I never see you here," I say to him while holding my son's hand and a shopping basket of yogurt. "Oh, I just gotta get my ice cream," he says smiling. I introduce him to my son who eyes him suspiciously. R bends down and shakes his hand. I know R is looking at things differently now that he's learned that he'll be having a son too.

Tomorrow is Back Day. I'd better get a plan formulated quick. I'm in such a rush that I completely forget to weigh myself. My son is literally the next to last child in the room. Luckily a new mom rushes in right after me to claim her 9 month old girl.

Monday Workout:
35 min elliptical Hill 5 = 4.01 miles Yay!
Bench Press: 12 @ bar / 12 @ 75 lbs / 10 @ 95 lbs / 8 @ 105 lbs / 6 @ 115 lbs / 10 @ 105 lbs / 12 @ 95 lbs
Flat Bench Twisting Sit Ups: 100
Cage Stretch with BW heel dips & calf raises and side kicks
Inclined Bench Rear Delt Flyes: 12 @ 20 lbs / 12 @ 25 lbs / 12 @ 27.5 lbs / 3 x 12 @ 30 lbs
Standing Lateral DB Raises: 12 @ 20 lbs / 3 x 12 @ 25 lbs
Flat Bench Twisting Sit Ups: 50
Lower Ab Kick Outs: 100
Torso Twist: 2 x 25 @ 50 lbs
Mat Stretch with 12 wide legged DBPUs, 3 rolling, 12 regular stance DBPUs, splits, etc

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...