Tuesday, October 8, 2013

If I'm Cutting Back Then Why...

The one weird thing I noticed yesterday was that I got hungrier sooner even though my workout was half of what I normally do. Same breakfast. Same cardio. Same stretching. Just loads less weight-lifting. Today I didn't do any weight lifting although I still did cardio, some stretching, abs and then a few rounds on the Nexersys. So I got done a bit earlier than a normal Tuesday, but by the time I hit the shower, I was ready to eat my arm. I figured I'd check out the protein powder my husband sporadically uses when he works out.

It mixes with water or milk and promises 20 gms of protein and an assortment of other stuff I don't really care about. But since I've had bad experiences with bringing protein with me (unless it's RTD like Ensure High Protein, or the nasty-tasting Muscle Milk), I had to wait until I got home to fix it up. I mixed it with lactose-free skim milk and it tasted like Strawberry Quik, not necessarily a bad thing. But after a while, I developed a headache that reminded me of taking too much cold medicine. I'm sensitive. And I'd only mixed up one scoop -- the directions say use three scoops but who's going to absorb 60 gms of protein?

I enjoyed the cardio session and didn't hold back, just making over 4 miles. To make sure I didn't forget to do abs, I did them right after cardio. Then Cage Stretch. I wanted to hit the Mat Stretch next but there was a convention occupying the Mat so I wound up grabbing my kickboxing gloves and hitting the Nexersys instead. When I was done with my 6 rounds in total, the Mats were still occupied! So I stretched out on a portable mat in the hallway. It's too thick and bouncy for a lot of things I do. I'm noticeably stiffer today. Even a tad sore and I don't even know why. If I'm cutting back, perhaps it's not enough for my body to just not do weights? Perhaps it's the cardio (which, truly, I hate) that's really exhausting me. I've always felt that moving weight was so much easier than "running" for miles at a stretch. So maybe tomorrow, normally a double Cardio leg day, I'll only do 4 miles instead of 8+. It'll be interesting to see how I feel afterwards.

Tuesday Cardio Workout:
35 min Hill 6 = 4.02 miles Yay!
Cage Stretch with BW Heel Dips & Calf Raises and Side Kicks
Nexersys Follow Me Avatar 3 rounds Beginner Female
Nexersys Sparring Avatar 3 rounds Beginner Female
Mat Stretch, etc

Again, accuracy is best during the 2nd round but the power is good.
Not as many points as last time, not as many strikes, not as much power as the Follow Me round, but it was a good work out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...