Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Knowing When to Say When

It's hard for a lot of us stubborn gym rats to know when to back down. We hate quitting. We hate losing, especially to ourselves. Ego, pride, stubbornness. Having a training plan helps to schedule rest and recuperation days into a punishing program. Some of us just play it by ear, listening for the signs of over-training, trying to prevent injury while working through discomfort. I should probably put together a better plan that the one I have right now which is basically work each body part once a week, going for reps with as heavy a weight as I can muster without hurting myself. It's starting to catch up with me. Either that or it's seasonal allergies.

I'm stuck pedaling the "tractor" elliptical and even though I'm a bit breathless and sweaty at the end of 35 minutes, I'm no where near my 4-mile quota. Sigh. Well, at least tomorrow's Leg Day when I'll have a chance to redeem myself.

My elbows have been sore for several days although it's not debilitating. More of an annoyance but today I take care not to stress them too much. It's hard to work back without your elbows so I have to compromise between what I want to do and what I know I can do without too much damage. I have half a mind not to do Wide Grip Pull Downs today, but I'm stubborn and talk myself into just a few sets. I should've known better because on the last rep of the last set, my right hand suddenly slips off the bar and the weight stack slams down. It's not THAT much weight so it's not THAT noisy, but I reach up and steady the wobbling handle over my head. Don't want it to poke some tall guy in the eye. Sheepishly, I glance around. Only Nixon, standing halfway across the free weight area, seems to have noticed my mishap. And that's only because he spends a lot of time waiting for M to spot him and M spends a lot of time chatting.

My grip sucks today. I ponder my next moves while stretching out in the Cage. Normally I do Close Grip Pull Downs. Instead I do Reverse Grip Barbell Curls, marching over to the barbell rack and grabbing the 90 lb barbell. It's so bloody crowded in the free weight area that I've confined myself to a little strip between the mirrored wall and one of the shoulder machines. I remember doing 90 lbs without any issues and I'm confident I can do them again. After three sets, I realize that they're too easy and I swap the barbell for the 100 lb one. This is only harder because I have trouble again with my grip, but only during the last two reps. My back feels okay. I do three sets and figure that's enough for now. Back to Close Grip Pull Downs. Those are easier on my grip but harder on my elbows. It's a bit frustrating but I still manage to kiss the handles to my chest for each rep, keeping my elbows tucked close to my body as I pull down. 

The Lower Back Extension machine is free and I'm feeling ornery. How much weight can I do? I start at 120 lbs and do my standard 25 reps. I figure if it's too heavy, I won't be able to finish my set. Since each plate is 15 lbs, I add a half brick of 7.5 lbs for the next set. Then I up the stack to 135. Then I add the half brick back. This makes the 4th set of 25 reps. It's 142.5 lbs. I could probably up the weight again to 150 but I decide to save that for next time. My back feels fine, not even vaguely tired. It's 100 reps. I'm probably going to feel it later. Either that, or I've waaay underestimated myself.

Moment of truth: DB Rows. I can't find an unoccupied bench even though there aren't a lot of people in the DB area. One of the benches is in Cage area next to the other cable machines on the other side of the gym. As I approach, a scruffy guy in the Cage makes to vacate immediately. I motion to him that he's ok, I just want the bench. Is he using it? He motions Oh no! Go right ahead. I see R adjusting the other cable machine so I put my hand up to wave in his face. He's 6'4 so there's no other way to get his attention. He smiles and I motion to the bench. He motions back Not using it. Go take it. Cool.

I'm good with the first few sets of DB Rows, progressing from 40s to 45s to 50s, but my right shoulder feels odd. There is a dull ache running from the front delt down the bone into the top of my elbow. It's not pain, but it's not pleasant either. I have new straps that are thinner and a bit longer than the previous brand. My hands are too small and I can barely wrap my fingers around the stem of the 50. Bummer. I strip the strap off and use just the grip pad to finish.

My lower back feels a little stiff and I know that doing abs always loosens it up so I do crunches first and then twisting sit ups before Mat Stretch. Now I feel pretty good. In the locker room I chat with D who was out sick last week because her oldest kid came home with a head cold and then passed it on to each of his brothers and then her. I find myself pulling back a bit because I hate getting sick. We discuss the knee and elbow blows in the Avatar Intermediate level. It makes me eager to wail on the Nexersys again but I'll wait until Friday. Tomorrow is Leg Day.

The gym scale reads 111.4 lbs. I know it's water because I ate fried chicken from Roy Rogers last night. I don't ever make fried chicken so that's probably the only fast food I'll actually eat once or twice a year. I know it's loaded with salt and MSG and fat, although not as bad as KFC which contains so much MSG that it gives me the proverbial "MSG headache".

Back Workout:

35 min Hill 6 = 3.89 miles Bleah!

Wide Grip Lat Pull Downs: 12 @ 75 lbs / 12 @ 90 lbs / 10 @ 105 lbs / 8 @ 120 lbs
And here I lose my right hand grip on the very last rep.

Cage Stretch with BW heel dips & calf raises and side kicks

RGBB Rows: 3 x 12 @ 90 lbs / 3 x 10 @ 100 lbs
Again, the last 2 reps of the last 2 sets have my fingers starting to fail

Close Grip Pull Downs: 12 @ 90 lbs / 10 @ 105 / 3 x 8 @ 120 lbs
At least here I can get my hands fully around the handles and rely less on my fingers.

Lower Back Extension: 25 @ 120 lbs / 25 @ 127.5 lbs / 25 @ 135 lbs / 25 @ 142.5 lbs
At the heavier weights I'm feeling it a bit in my hamstrings as well as lower back.

DB Rows: 12 @ 40 lbs / 12 @ 45 lbs / 3 x 8 @ 50 lbs

Ab Crunch Station: 100
Flat Bench Twisting Sit Ups: 150

Mat Stretch with 10 wide-legged DBPUs, 3 rolling PUs, 10 regular stance DBPUs, splits, lower back, upper back, hamstring & hip stretch, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...