Thursday, October 3, 2013

Good Soreness Bad Soreness

Lately, I'm sore when I wake up. Not painfully so, but enough to make me aware that I actually did something physical the day before. It could also be time for a new mattress. Oddly, my glutes are the one part that isn't sore and they're always sore. Maybe it's just a matter of degrees, as in, if nothing else was sore, well then, my glutes would be complaining. But what I notice is a tenderness right over my left hip bone although there's no bruise. I think it's from the seat belt on the Lower Back Extension. Repercussions from upping the weights to over 140 lbs. My back is stiff as well, but nothing's painful. Still I'm tired. Cardio is going to be so much fun today.

The parking lot is so full I think they must be giving money away at one of the stores. Either that, or Weight Watchers is having a mega-weigh-in. Sometimes people wander into the gym by mistake, looking for a meeting. But the gym is actually fairly empty today. Interval 7 goes by quickly and I log in a decent mileage although not as much as I'd hoped. Today is Arm Day and I decide to "warm up" by doing a few sets of benching. Nothing spectacular. Just a few 12-rep sets. Standard Cage Stretch follows. It always leaves me a little breathless and sweaty.

R and Skinny J are chatting in the DB area between sets of DB presses. R hoists up a pair of 110 lb DBs for a few reps. Skinny J is half his height and doesn't lift quite as much. I wave at R and he nods. Then I'm all business and oblivious to everyone. DB curls, superset with Skull Crushers. My elbows waver at the Skull Crushers so I don't dare up the weight there, doing sets at 35 lbs. DB Curls, on the other hand, taunt me. I've only grabbed two magnetic discs today so I have to re-affix them to the 30 lb barbell after a set of curls at 27.5 lbs. WTF, I grab the 30 lb DBs. Each one is big enough for the stem to straddle my thigh. Afterwards, I swap the 30s for a single 20 lb DB. Kickbacks. Okay, if I can do 15 reps then this is too light. 22.5 lbs? Still getting 15 reps. 25 lbs? It's harder, but I can manage 12 reps. Okay, I toss a disc on. 27.5 lbs is heavy and I'm struggling to keep my arm parallel to the bench. I can do a few sets. To finish, I grab the 20 lb DB again and do one set of One-Arm Tricep Extension. My left arm is burnt and I can barely finish the 10th rep without having the DB pop me in the head. My right arm, however, is on auto-pilot and I have to stop myself at the 15th rep.

Barbell curls, followed by Reverse Grip BB Curls. Nothing spectacular. Although my arms are so pumped that I have to loosen my elbow braces and wrist bands. Oh yeah, I should do abs. My back is stiff all over and I only feel my lower back loosen with the Twisting Sit Ups. A few crunches too. Then the Mat Stretch. Someone's left their Gatorade bottle on one of the mats along with an ab wheel. I hate it when people leave their crap all over the place and then they don't come back for an hour. What, did they shopping and forget they were working out? I want to toss it all in the trash, but instead I use an adjacent mat. I'll be here a while.

The gym scale again reads 109.8 lbs. Wow. I'm surprised at the consistency. But I'm also hungry and my sodden clothes reek. A good long hot shower is in order. Tomorrow is Double Cardio and then smacking the Nexersys. I love doing that. But I think everyone's right. I should take next week off. Or at least cut back a bit. This should be interesting.

Arm Day Workout:
35 min Interval 7 = 4.46 miles Yay!
Bench Press: 25 @ bar (45 lbs) / 12 @ 75 lbs / 12 @ 95 lbs / 12 @ 105 lbs / 2 x 12 @ 95 lbs
Cage Stretch with BW heel dips & calf raises and side kicks
DB Curls: 12 @ 25 lbs / 12 @ 27.5 lbs / 3 x 8 @ 30 lbs superset with
Skull Crushers: 5 x 12 @ 35 lbs
Tricep DB Kickbacks: 15 @ 20 lbs / 15 @ 22.5 lbs / 12 @ 25 lbs / 3 x 12 @ 27.5 lbs
One-Arm Tricep Extension: 12 @ 20 lbs
BB Curls: 3 x 12 @ 50 lbs
RGBB Curls: 3 x 20 @ 40 lbs
Ab Crunch Station: 100
Flat Bench Twisting Sit Ups: 125
Mat Stretch with standard stretches, splits, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...