Monday, February 25, 2013

Freshness


I thought about titling today's posting "When Monday feels like Friday" because I was really tired when I got to the gym today. Nevermind that I'd stayed up way too late over the weekend, watching previously-recorded programs on my DVR, and that we found out Friday evening that the PTO was once again sponsoring an extra gym class for the elementary school kids, starting this morning at 8:15. Luckily I'd already packed everything last night, so it wasn't too hard to get out the door 30 minutes earlier than usual.

The parking lot wasn't overly crowded either, but then again, I WAS getting in a lot earlier today. I managed to get on my favorite elliptical, punch in 30 minutes because Who am I kidding? I'm bloody tired today! Perhaps it's because the #3 Precor glides easier than #1 but I made my 4 mile quota and was quite pleased. The Smith Bench Press seemed more daunting today though. But I don't like talking myself out of my routine no matter how tired I am, so I turned my iPod up louder and proceeded with my sets. You can be your own worst enemy.

Sometimes, though, no matter how loud you turn up your iPod, you can't drown out the inane flirty chatter of people standing next to you. During delts, "Barbie" and her runner friend "Jerry" proceed to socialize loudly. So I move. Yep, just let me slide that bench over a few more feet so that someone else can stand there and listen to that drivel. No, I'm not a tolerant person at all.

Today's Total Workout:
35 min cardio = 4.09 miles (lately, my left outer ankle, just below the bone, has been sporadically clicking and I'm concerned that this may develop into something)
Smith Bench Press: 12 @ bar / 15 @ 95 / 12 @ 115 / 12 @ 135 / 3 x 10 @ 145 lbs / 12 @ 125 / 25 @ 105 lbs (my thumb & wrist aren't bothering me as much today, but my right front shoulder still twinges a bit so I'm being cautious with it)
Cage Stretch & Kicks
Lateral DB Raises: 6 x 12 @ 20 lbs (oddly, I look very small, lean and muscular all at the same time)
Rear Bent-Over DB Raises: 3 x 15 @ 22.5 lbs
Seated Rear Inclined DB Raises: 6 x 15 @ 22.5 lbs (I know these movements work more than just the rear delts so I'm adding a few sets today just because...)
One-Arm DB Tricep Extension: 3 x 12 @ 22.5 lbs
Flat Bench Twisting Sit Up: 125 (I move very fast doing this, with my hands touching each other, my arms bent, and tossing each elbow out as I twist)
Lower Ab Kick Outs: 100
Torso Twist Station: 2 x 25 @ 50 lbs
French Press: 12 @ 30 lbs / 3 x 12 @ 35 lbs (I use the magnetic discs on the 30 lb barbell and very slowly perform 3 sets but I'm not able to touch the bar to my forehead, and the weight causes a bit of discomfort in my elbows so I'm rethinking doing this particular movement)
Mat Stretch

During my last exercise, I see the Obese Man again in the free weight section. I also see several young women working out, doing squats, flyes and lunges. I'm glad that I'm not the only female pumping iron. The Obese Man seems a tad smaller than last week, or perhaps he's finally got gym pants that fit and don't resemble a lawn litter bag. I see a lot of regulars. Amazing Stretch looks stressed and doesn't have his bud, Curly Cap with him today.

B is thoroughly engrossed with her new friend and lifting buddy, D. I also see M, J, Mr T-shirt, Tall Pace, BaggyKnees, PJ Pants, FatAss, RangerRick, EagleEye and later, Mo who tells me that her grandson's girlfriend has just passed away after 6 weeks of recovering from a car crash. She'd had a traumatic brain injury and had just been moved to a rehab facility when she spiked a fever and died. "I'm so sorry," I tell her, because there is nothing else I can say. It's terrible when people die, and worse when it's someone who is, for all intensive purposes, just a baby at 19 years old.

The scale reads 110.4 lbs and I'm satisfied with that. Drop the 3 lbs of water I've sucked down and that leaves me with an approx body weight of 107 lbs give or take. Crazy hungry by the time I reach my car, I suck down my Ensure and head home. There's an interesting NYT article in the magazine section about the science of addictive junk foods. I find it's worth reading, especially as someone who's spent so much time in the advertising industry.

I'm not a proponent of the latest trend, the paleo-diet, as I'm quite happy eating oatmeal and coffee for breakfast although I have cut down a bit on my dairy consumption. But I find that the harder I work out, the less I want to just stuff myself with junk. Oranges are in season and good deals can be had at the right supermarket: last week I got an 8 lb bag of navel oranges for about $4. Everyone knows that fresh foods are better and tastier. With the exception of, apparently, frozen broccoli. At least as per last month's Men's Health magazine. I hate to say it, but it's probably not a big surprise that the men's magazines seem to have a lot more useful information in them than the women's versions. Although I can't see myself getting a subscription, I do like to look at all the hot bods, and (ahem) read the tips about exercise and nutrition... It's always a good incentive to go the gym, and a way to keep things fresh!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...