Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Exceed Your Expectations

Me on Leg Day
When my alarm went off this morning, I was simultaneously relieved and disappointed that we weren't being subjected to another weather-related two-hour delay. No icy roads, but no sleeping in either. I'm really tired this week and it's only Wednesday. I don't know how I'm going to stay awake for the Cub Scout pack meeting tomorrow night, much less make it through today. But it's Leg Day, and I always love Leg Day, even if I'm not really feeling the love.

I get on my favorite Precor and punch in 30 minutes. My lungs start burning 4 minutes into the routine. This does not bode well for the rest of the workout. But I'm good at compartmentalizing, so even though my lungs are uncomfortable, my legs keep pedaling as fast as they can, averaging a 198 SPM pace. At minute 25 I develop a stitch that runs down the center of my abdominal into my right hip. It's hard to ignore but I don't want to slow down. During the last minute of cool down, I suddenly regain my wind and manage to rev up to 269 SPM for a good 30-40 seconds. Even I'm startled by this.

The push from my left quadricep is doing all the work. I'm elated (and shocked) to log 4.13 miles for the first half of my cardio workout. I'm thinking that I'm going to pay for that little act of hubris with a dismal intervals set. I can barely keep the pace at 179 for the troughs, and struggle to get my pacing up to 199 for the peaks. My right leg bicep seems to be doing the brunt of the work. I log in a surprising 4.39 miles, for a total of 8.52 miles. I'm so flabbergasted, I just stare stupidly at the Precor display for a few moments before I remember I have other things to do. (Sometimes you are your own worst enemy and it's best not to pay any attention to yourself!)

Today's Total Workout:
35 min hill #6 = 4.13 miles + 35 min intervals #7 = 4.39  Grand Total = 8.52 miles Wahooooo! (hey, if I don't cheer myself, no one else will!)
Smith Squats: 12 @ bar / 6 x 12 @ 95 lbs (my right knee clicks disapprovingly until I move my foot so that my toes face slightly outward instead of straight ahead)
I pull off my hoodie because it's so wet that it's clinging uncomfortably to my back as I dead lift.
Smith Straight-Legged Dead Lifts: (I skip the bar warm up) 6 x 12 @ 95 lbs
Smith Thrusters: 12 @ bar / 3 x 12 @ 55 lbs (my left ankle clicks loudly and I realize that this started when I started doing this exercise; I have to be more mindful of how I place my feet!)
I put my wet hoodie back on to do Cage Stretch followed by Pistol Squats because it's near the front door and I hate being cold, especially when I'm soaking wet
Locker Room
Mirror photo


Cage Stretch
6 Pistol Squats each leg (I lean over my knee when I descend on my left leg in order to keep my balance and to focus on the weak ankle; meanwhile my right leg has the weak knee)
Seated Leg Curl: 6 x 15 @ 90 lbs
Seated Leg Extensions: 6 x 15 @ 60 lbs
Torso Twist: 2 x 25 @ 50 lbs
Mat Stretch: there are a lot of yoga moves here so even though it's all stretch, I do find myself sweating, with a breathless flushed face.

I'm pleased to see several other young women in the gym today, doing cardio and pushing weights. I feel less self-conscious when there are others also wearing brightly colored shorts and leggings, and who aren't nursing rehab injuries or the indignities of middle-age. B isn't here today but I spot other regulars like M, RangerRick (named not after the Raccoon character, but after a guy I used to work with who's name was RickR, and who this guy looks like but isn't), PJ Pants, LoudMouth... Mo eventually makes it in just as I'm leaving. I see R's car in the parking lot, and glimpse ZZ wandering in late. Yep, gangs all here.

The scale reads 108.0 lbs and I'm pleased. I'm also exhausted. I'm 90% sure that tomorrow's workout is going to suck. Perhaps I should start considering cutting back on my workouts, using my time for other things. I'm baffled about how to make a living doing what I like, because what I like to do is work out, write and cook. But I'm fairly certain I'll have to do some sort of certification if I want someone to pay me to teach them to work out. Sigh. I'm my own worst enemy! I've just got to go ahead and do it. Or buckle down and finish the stories I've already started writing. Maybe I'll even exceed my own expectations.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...