Thursday, February 28, 2013

Learning to Adapt

I got to the gym a few minutes later than usual because I had to reassure my son that I would indeed repair the hole in Bluebeary's foot. Bluebeary is my son's Very First Teddy, and for an 8 yr old boy, my son is surprisingly attached to his stuffed animals. There was ample parking, but all the Precor's were spoken for so I hopped onto the last remaining LifeFitness elliptical. It's the only one without a TV attached to it, and BTW, it's also my favorite of the 4 LF machines because it's not as difficult to pedal. That translates into less stress on my ankles and knees for me.

I spent the first 10 minutes just pedaling, trying to get my heart rate up past 135 while logging a decent pace (5.9-6.2). I managed to get my heart rate up to 145 when I started using the handles, increasing my pace to 8.5 even throughout the 5 minute warm down, for 3.88 miles. The LF is so different from the Precor that I'm not even sure what unit the pacing is in. I don't like the LF because I can feel my feet slide inside my shoes as I push the pedal forward. Uh oh, am I going to get blisters now? But I get warmed up.

I didn't develop stitches in my side either and I'm never sure why I get them. When I google the term, I get a slew of disparate answers from eating too close to exercising, to breathing too shallowly to allow the diaphragm to relax completely. And I'd never even equated getting a stitch with swimmer's cramps. I remember my grandmother telling us never to get into the water until an hour had passed after eating. Naturally, we children carefully translated that into never taking a bath within an hour of eating dinner! 

B and M are chatting at the Smith machine, with an inclined bench and a bar racked with plates. I don't even bother to ask them if they're done since it's my 2nd Push Day and all the Free Weight Benches are free. I'm just doing reps today, and easy ones at that.

Today's Total Workout:
35 min LF elliptical = 3.88 miles
Flat Bench: 16 reps @ bar (45 lbs) / 15 @ 65 / 15 @ 85 / 3 x 12 @ 95 lbs / 15 @ 75 lbs /
2 x 25 @ 65
I don't bother putting my hoodie back on to get to the Cage Stretch because it's so warm today. Unfortunately, the Cage Stretch is really popular today and I have to wait for 2 different people to finish using it. Meanwhile, I discover that the Torso Twist machine has a problem with the belt and doesn't glide smooth anymore.
Cage Stretch & Kicks
Lateral DB Raises: 6 x 12 @ 20 lbs (front left delt is twinging today so I'm moving cautiously)
Bent-Over Rear DB Raises: 6 x 15 @ 22.5 lbs
One-Arm DB Tricep Extensions: 3 x 12-10 @ 22.5 lbs (my left wrist gives out on the 3rd set)
Flat Bench Twisting Sit Ups: 125
Lower Ab Kick Outs: 125 (PJ Pants situates himself in an ab machine facing me for this exercise but doesn't do a single rep. Nothing more pathetic than a middle-age man starting hopelessly at someone who has no reason to give him the time of day.)
French Press (triceps): 4 x 15 @ 30 lbs (I still feel the front delt twinging)
Decline Press (ah, what the hell! I haven't done these in what seems like forever): 25 @ bar / 15 @ 65 / 15 @ 85 / 3 x 12 @ 95 lbs / 12 @ 75 lbs / 25 @ 55 lbs
I'm pretty damn sure I'm going to feel some sort of soreness from today's workout, but it'll be a surprise as to where... my money's on outer pecs and rear delts.
Mat Stretch

Illustration only!
I get parallel to the floor
and push up
I see a few new female faces in the free weight area as well as some regulars. I'm hoping that my nonchalant attitude is reassuring and encourages them to continue. But I don't go out of my way to talk to them, or correct their forms. I'm not like Mr T-shirt, who I'm probably going to rechristen, The Mayor. Because he's loud, and talks an awful lot. Like he's campaigning for office or something. I can't get on the Tricep Press Down so I proceed to the Mat Stretch. I'm tempted to see how many push ups I can do, but I'm worried about stressing the front delt. When I stretch down with my legs perpendicular and push up with my arms, I don't feel any stress at all in my triceps. Maybe I should work them harder. And I wonder if they'd get bigger.

I don't see Mo today but there are other regulars at the gym, like RangerRick, Mustache, 5o'clock, Amazing Stretch and Curly Cap, Short and Tall Pace U. The scale reads an uncharacteristic 108.8 lbs but I'm not going to freak out. I'm too tired. And hungry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...