Friday, February 15, 2013

Reconsidering Shoulders and Backs

There's no school today so I let my son sleep in a bit while I got the dog fed and walked, and the car packed with my gym gear. We weren't horribly late but there weren't a lot of kids in the Child Care Room because school was in session in Carmel and Kent, but not Mahopac. I'm sure we'll be in session during Passover and Good Friday week while they'll be out on Spring Holiday.

The parking lot was so full I thought perhaps everyone had won a free ticket to the movie theater next door. Luckily, the gym itself wasn't overly crowded. I saw B as she headed out to her nail appointment, and later I saw Mo just coming in as I was leaving. All the regulars were there, dutifully doing whatever it is they do. Mr T-shirt, Skinny J, Hairy Shoulders, Amazing Stretch & Curly Cap (who has since gotten a haircut), Tattoo Braid, PJ Pants, M, and 5o'Clock who asks me if those discs affixed to the 60 lb barbell are magnets or what?

I tell him, "Yes, they have them at the Front Desk." "Cool, I've never seen anything like that," he says smiling. I stare at the Blue Tooth earpiece and square light atop his other ear, making him resemble some sort of cyborg but I don't ask him what THOSE things are. Because I don't really want to interrupt my routine. I only know about these discs because I saw R using them on the 45 lb plates while doing abs on a half dome. I also see ZZ but since he's not crowding my space, I treat him like everyone else. I don't avoid him but I don't make eye contact either.

I'm tired today, and my lungs are burning by cardio minute 25 even though I barely maintain a 195-205 SPM pace. At the end of 35 minutes, I only log 3.92 miles but sweat's streaming down my face and inside my nose. Today is Back and Biceps Day 2. Mostly I do what I did on Tuesday, except that being a bit pressed for time, I cut out the Concentration Curls, and only do 3 sets of Reverse Grip BB Curls instead of 6. I still do abs, still stretch, still attempt to get 3 sets of Pull Ups done. And I still gotta shower and dress before getting my son and heading out to the Mall. Because I promised my son colorful socks, and the only place I know to get them is H&M at the JV Mall.

Today's Total Workout:
35 min cardio = 3.92 miles
Seated Cable Rows: 12 @ 90 / 12 @ 105 / 3 x 10 @ 120 lbs
Lower Back Extensions: 2 x 25 @ 97.5 lbs (90 is just too easy but 97.5 is a work out)
Cage Stretch & Kicks
Pull Ups (I really wish I could do 3 complete sets): 12 / 10+2 / 8+2 (the last 2 are always so pathetic, but at least I'm not shaking the Smith rack trying to muscle my way up)
Reverse Grip BB Rows: 15 @ 70 lbs / 6 x 15 @ 75 lbs
DB Curls: 3 x 12 @ 20 lbs (my forearms are so swollen below the elbow braces they look discolored -- gotta rest them!)
Flat Bench Twisting Sit Ups: 125
Lower Ab Kick Outs: 100 (nothing creepier than some old guy sitting across from you while you work out, and all he's doing is staring because he just can't keep up with your pace)
Torso Twist Machine: 2 x 25 @ 50 lbs
Reverse Grip BB Curls: 3 x 20 @ 40 lbs
Mat Stretch (the stretch is pretty good today and I'm pleased to see a shoeless guy on the next mat doing a variety of yoga poses including a few wall-supported headstands)

Every fitness and exercise website advises to do Pull Ups in place of Lat Pull Downs. I certainly feel as if I'm spending less energy and time working lat width (rowing motions work depth and thickness more), and my forearms seem less stressed. Curiously, what hurts my elbows most is doing mundane things like washing my face, or cutting up carrots. However, I'm not sure if Pull Ups in place of Pull Downs is really working the lats properly. Perhaps I'll add a few Pull Downs back into my routine toward the end, but before the Reverse Grip BB Curls.

I'm also rethinking my approach to Rear Delts (I'm starting to feel twinges in the Front Delts), reverting back to doing Rear Delt separate from the Front and Lateral Raises. The movement doesn't just work rear deltoids, but also affects a slew of other small shoulder and upper back muscles. It's hard to know when you can't actually see that particular body part without a great deal of contortion.

The gym scale reads 108.8 but once I'm home, my scale registers 105.6 lbs. It's consistent. I know that my glutes are probably growing a tad from the Leg Day routine but my clothes fit fine. I'd still like to see my abs but I'm not willing to diet down to a lower body fat percentage, and I don't see the need for any bigger body parts. Except I'd like better balanced shoulders: I've always felt that my rear delts have lagged behind the front and laterals. And I'd like slightly wider lats. Because there's always something...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...