Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Another School Holiday

Today is my son's 5th day home from school. I took him to the gym with me this morning. Luckily, he goes back to school tomorrow. He can't wait because he is soooo bored at home, although he has a good time at the gym in the Child Care Room because at least there are other children to talk to. Even if they are babies and toddlers. He doesn't mind. I'm glad he's so good-natured about it. The gym now has a sign posted stating that kids ages 8-13 can work out alongside their parents on weekends. It's certainly tempting, but of course, that would entail me actually going to the gym on the weekend. Shush!

The parking lot was again so full that we wound up halfway across the shopping area. No matter. The gym is reasonably crowded but I can still get on my favorite elliptical and only punch in 30 minutes, figuring I did 5 miles yesterday and Leg Day is tomorrow, so let's see if we can get 4 miles today. And we do! Wahoo! Oops, I've slipped into the royal We...

Today's Total Workout:
35 min cardio = 4.08 miles (pace range from 189 SPM to 260, albeit very briefly)
Seated Cable Rows: 12 @ 90 / 12 @ 105 / 3 x 10 @ 120 lbs (the last set feels makes me feel weak)
Lower Back Extensions: 25 @ 90 lbs / 25 @ 95 lbs
Cage Stretch & Kicks (I'm getting bored so now I've got to think of something new to do here; thank goodness tomorrow's Leg Day)
Reverse Grip Bent-Over Rows: 15 @ 70 / 6 x 15 @ 75 lbs
Pull Ups at the Smith Rack: 12 / 10+2 / 8+2, 2 (the station was busy all morning until now but I don't want to be a hog so I don't rest too long between Pull Up sets, but the last two reps were after an additional 60 seconds rest)
Seated Alternating DB Curls: 3 x 12 @ 20 lbs (I skip Concentration Curls today due to time constraints)
Flat Bench Twisting Sit Ups: 125 (I need a little time to rest my forearms which are horribly pumped)
Lower Back Extensions (again): 2 x 25 @ 95 lbs
Reverse Grip BB Curls: 5 x 20 @ 40 lbs (it seems much harder this week, but I will shoot for 6 sets at the next Pull Day which is probably this Friday)
Mat Stretch

The scale's not budging and reads 110.2 lbs. Hey, maybe I'm actually gaining some muscle somewhere? After a few errands, we get home and my EatSmart scale reads 7 stone 9 lbs. What?! Aarg, somehow I've managed to hit the "measurements" button and the scale's now reading in Brit terms. After some fussing, I manage to get back to American readings, which is a reasonable 107 lbs. I don't know if I'm stronger, but I'm definitely not bigger. Except my forearms seem a tad more muscular, and I have tiny, tiny forearms and hands. It's kind of cool to see how vascular they've become, but I'm fascinated by things like that.

It was so crowded that I'm not sure if B was here today. I don't see Mo either. In truth, there are only a few regulars whom I recognize, R & his brother, Skinny J, Headphones, Hannibal Baggy Knees, Loud Cripple, and PJ Pants who looks disappointed that I no longer use the Lat Pull Down station. I still don't know why he's on that machine every day that he comes to work out, but I'm not about to talk to him about it. I should probably do more than 3 sets of Pull Ups but I'll have to work up to that and take opportunities when they present themselves.

Tomorrow's Leg Day! I'm so excited and I don't care that the temperature's going to drop into the 30s again. I'll be wearing my hoodie and shorts and hoping to log in 8 miles. This afternoon, I read an article in the NYT about when to replace running shoes. Unfortunately, the article doesn't answer the question. Instead, it gives various opinions about how many hundreds of miles shoes can withstand before breaking down. But since I don't run, I wonder if my Asics are going to need replacing eventually. I own two pairs, two years apart, and although they appear interchangeable, the later model feels a tad narrower (a big deal for someone with wide feet). There's very little impact wear, but I have noticed that my ankles tend outward, and there's probably pressure exerted on the ankle of the shoe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...