Thursday, February 21, 2013

Happiness is Where You Find It

Surprisingly, the parking lot was it's normal spacious self this morning, and I parked without any drama. The gym also seemed more spacious. It's amazing how crowded it feels when there's a popular class in session, which reminds me to be cautious tomorrow. I had my usual oatmeal and blueberry breakfast with coffee an hour beforehand.

I've also been trying to wear more flattering workout clothes, rediscovering a slightly padded sports bra from Old Navy that actually fits and gives me a nice shape, or at least a trim shape under my tank and yoga pants. Knowing that you look good tends to add an extra push to an already fatigued body. Happiness is where you find it!

I'm skeptical about how much cardio I'll be able to do after yesterday's personal best of 8.51 miles, but that doesn't keep me from trying. I'm surprised at how much easier it is to stay at the 195 SPM pace today, sometimes spurting up to 226, sometimes (when I have to flex my fingers or toes) dropping down into the 185 range. This might be the part of my menstrual cycle that gives me a weird boost of energy right before I feel totally (Matrix-death) unplugged. 30 minutes plus 5 minute (call it a cool down but I don't slow down at all) gives me 4.12 miles and am I gleefully surprised!

Today's Total Workout:
35 min cardio = 4.12 miles
Smith Bench Press (my triceps feel a tad sore so I don't know how much I can push but what the hell -- I'm here aren't I?): 12 @ bar (just to make sure the bench is in the right spot) / 18 @ 95 lbs (I cut my set short because I don't want to burn myself out too soon) / 12 @ 115 lbs / 12 @ 135 lbs / 3 x 10 @ 145 lbs (and the last 2 reps of the last 2 sets feel really hard, especially since my right thumb and wrist are twinging) / 12 @ 125 lbs / 24+2 @ 105 lbs (my back starts to slide down the bench during this last set and at rep 24 I actually stop, replace the bar, reposition myself and knock out the last 2 reps) I notice that some of the guys in the area seem uncomfortable. Not my problem.
Cage Stretch & Kicks
Lateral Deltoid DB Raises (skipping Front Deltoids today): 6 x 12 @ 20 lbs
Seated Rear Inclined DB Raises: 6 x 15 @ 22.5 lbs (my back is still sore from Tuesday so these are a tad difficult to execute)
One-Arm DB Tricep Extension: 3 x 12 @ 22.5 lbs (my thumb and wrist feel weak; again it could be my menstrual cycle messing with my joints)
Flat Bench Twisting Sit Ups (thank goodness for ab workouts so I can rest my arms): 125
Lower Ab Kick Outs: 100
Torso Twist: 2 x 25 @ 50 lbs
Tricep Press Downs: 12 / 10 / 9 @ 50 lbs (as I'm dressing this morning, I notice how large and defined my triceps are in comparison to my delts and biceps -- I got some decent arms!)
As I pace between sets, I notice that PJ Pants is sitting at the Bicep Curl Machine facing me, with his chin resting on the pad, staring dolefully. Pathetic. And creepy.
Mat Stretch

I see Mr T-shirt again today. Mostly he's spotting guys on the free bench. Sometimes he's actually pushing a weight or two. I'm not really sure what he's working on because everyone has their own routine. He's someone who hasn't looked any different since the day I joined the gym almost 2 years ago. There's a lot of people who don't seem to make any gains. Work, classes, schedules, life in general gets in the way. Some people work Big Upper Muscle groups like Chest and Back one day, and Arms another day, and Legs another day. Some folks, like B, work only one body part per day (how she manages to stretch that into a 4 hour workout, I have no idea).

I work each body part twice a week, except Legs but only because I do cardio every day (not a standard practice unless you're trying to get lean, but I need to get "warm"), and I have big legs to begin with. So working them once a week to shape and strengthen seems pretty reasonable to me. And no one is arguing with the results. I think the part that men (at least the ones here) seem to have trouble with, and women say inspires them, is the fact that I don't waste my workouts: I try to get 110% out of each one. I do it 5 days a week. Every week. Flip a switch in my brain to go into "workout mode" and just keep going and going. Of course, I'm "spent" by the time I get back into the locker room. But I feel good.

I see Mo and we reminisce about people we knew some 15 years ago. Apparently there's a few others who've left the old Tower Gym (now Evolution) in Mahopac for this Gold's Gym in Carmel. I wasn't quite a gym rat then, although I suspect it's always been inside me. The latest article on the Gold's Gym website talks about partnering up in order to get the most out of a workout. I guess it's good for someone who'd otherwise slack. But my feeling is that they're only going to hold me back. Unless they're working out like I do. And so far, I haven't been able to find anyone like me. The scale reads 108.4 lbs and that's satisfactory. My home scale reads 105.6 lbs. Also satisfactory. I'm pretty happy.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...