Thursday, February 7, 2013

Making the Best of Whatever...

I should've known it was going to be "that kind of day" when I discovered the 2 out of 4 Precors weren't working properly. And the other two were occupied. By sweaty old men who never wipe down the machines. So I trudged off to the LifeFitness ellipticals, and of course, only 1 out of 3 working machines was available. It was the one no one wants to use. There are so many Sorry! Out of Order signs on the elliptical equipment that it's beginning to resemble a Used Equipment Warehouse.

I hate the LifeFitness machine. Even at the lowest setting, I'm slogging through mud which puts a lot of pressure on my ankles and knees. All my joints, in fact. I can feel the balls of my feet slipping against my trainers (blisters!) and it's hard to keep my heels flat against the peddles. I get warm and a little sweaty, but I don't even care how many miles I've done or not done because it's not relevant. I just hope the Precors are fixed the next time I come.

Then later, as I'm pulling a magnetic 2.5 lb disc off a 20 lb dumbbell, I catch my pinky finger and thoroughly bruise it. It's purple and swollen, and very sensitive to pressure so typing is a bit trying. It's also a lesson in how many things we use our pinkies for but take for granted, like tying shoelaces. But especially, pressing the Right Shift Key or any of the punctuations keys. Bleah.

Today's Total Workout:
LifeFitness cardio 30 min
Smith Machine Bench Press: 12 @ bar / 25 @ 95 lbs / 12 @ 115 lbs / 12 @ 135 lbs / 3 x 10 @ 145 lbs / 12 @ 125 lbs / 25 @ 105 lbs (I feel fairly satisfied with this routine for now)
Cage Stretch & Kicks
Front & Lateral DB Raises & Rear Inclined Seated Raises: 3 x 12 @ 20 lbs (22.5 lbs for Rear)
Yep, this is where I crunch my pinkie but it doesn't stop me from working out.
Lateral & Rear Inclined Seated Raises: 3 x 12 (15 for Rear) @ 20 lbs (22.5 lbs for Rear)
DB Tricep Extensions: 3 x 12 @ 20 lbs
Flat Bench Twisting Sit Ups: 125
Lower Ab Kick Outs: 100
Tricep Press Downs: 12/10/8 @ 50 lbs followed immediately by 10 @ 40 lbs / 12 @ 30 lbs (known as a burnout set going to failure, and I figure I hadn't done these in a long time so what the heck)
Torso Twist: 2 x 25 @ 50 lbs
Mat Stretch

Mr T-shirt is at the Seated Cable Rows just perpendicular to the Tricep Press Down station, and I can tell that he's a bit disconcerted, even though I'm not looking directly at him. He's the type of guy who needs to chat and there's no one to chat with. I also notice a new face in the gym, someone who is troubling because he's completely covered in a hoodie and sweats. What's troubling is that he moves from station to station but never actually sits at any one. He has a very nervous, furtive vibe and I don't trust him at all. It's as if he's just checking out the place. People in hoodies usually take them off eventually. He doesn't. He doesn't even work out.

I pace and bob between sets, keeping myself focused on the next movement I have to do. I see a few other regulars wandering through the gym, like PJ Pants and ZZ. Thankfully they're a respectably safe distance away from me so I'm not concerned, but I always like to know where everyone is. It's probably a product of my early NYC childhood, in the dark days of the 60s and 70s when crime ran rampant.

The gym scale reads 109 (and my home scale reads 106.2 which is just about the same as yesterday) so I'm good. The Apple strikes up a conversation with me and another lady in the locker room about working out. She's been taking a BodyPump Class and she's upset that the scale hasn't budged but her legs, butt and arms are bigger. Now she can't fit into her dainty dresses anymore. I mention that she might want to get a body fat scale just to see where she is. She's also concerned that she'll develop muscles like a man. I try not to laugh. I assure her that it'll never ever happen.

I push a lot more weight, and I certainly don't look like a man (although I'm horribly envious of a certain back right because it's the most beautiful back I've ever seen). A gamin perhaps but that's probably because of my haircut, and the unisex clothes I tend to favor (so much more comfortable!) so that'd be understandable. It doesn't bother me. I still wear purple eye pencil and glossy lipstick. You just have to make the best with what you've got, genetics and otherwise...


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...