Thursday, February 14, 2013

Persistence Not Supplements

It's harrowing to read that people are still dying while taking supposedly safe supplements to improve their stamina. Yes, I'm referring to DMAA and those widely-advertised pills (caffeine, guarana, etc) and/or drinks that are suppose to boost your energy levels. Unfortunately, there's no short-cut to better stamina and endurance. Part of it will always be your genetic capacity, and part of it is just plain ol' boring exercise. And not, chat while you walk exercise. Exercise that pushes you to the limit. And then you come back again, and push yourself again.

Because I've got borderline high blood pressure (inherited), glaucoma (inherited), a sensitive gall bladder (probably inherited), a genetic susceptibility to gout (gee thanks mom AND dad) and probably brain aneurysms (thanks mom), I try not to take any supplements at all. I concede to a daily dose of zinc (especially during flu season, and no, I never did get a flu shot and now the season's just about over) and some fish oil pills (to alleviate inflammation which appears to be the Root of Most if not All Health Evil), washed down with juice or tea. I also haven't forgotten the post-workout Ensure® High Protein drink which contains an alphabet of vitamins and minerals, although I'm not sure why anyone needs iodine. Have we all given up iodized salt?

Today's Total Workout:
35 min hill #5 (for fun) = 4.09 miles (my lungs were burning by the end of this session but it felt really great to go all out for 35 minutes, which then begs the question, when people do cardio at a steady state which I'm assuming is about 70-80% of their maximum effort, are they really benefiting?)
Smith Bench Press (it's my 2nd Push Day so I take it easy, sort of): 12 @ bar / 25 @ 95 lbs / 12 @ 115 lbs / 12 @ 135 lbs / 10+2 @ 145 lbs (the last two reps feel really heavy and I can't comfortably lower the bar close to my chest, so I resist the urge to do more sets and instead pyramid down) / 12@ 125 lbs / 25 @ 105 lbs
Cage Stretch & Kicks
Front & Lateral DB Raises: 3 x 12 @ 20 lbs each set followed immediately by Bent Over Rear DB Raises: 3 x 15 @ 22.5 lbs
Lateral & Rear DB Raises: 3 x 12-15 @ 20-22.5 lbs (I only do 3 sets of Front Raises because Benching also works them, and they seem to be a bit delicate)
One-Arm Tricep DB Extensions: 3 x 12 @ 20 lbs (this is getting easy)
Flat Bench Twisting Sit Ups (I need to rest my arms for a bit): 125
Lower Ab Kick Outs: 100
Torso Twist Machine: 2 x 25 @ 50 lbs
French Press (I've kept the two 2.5 lb magnetic discs just for this exercise): 18 reps @ 30 lbs (I was thinking of going for 25 but decided to go heavier instead with more weight) / 3 x 12 @ 35 lbs (yes, I've affixed the magnetic discs to the 30 lbs barbell, and by the 3rd set, my right front shoulder is twinging a bit)
Mat Stretch

My stretch is much better today than yesterday so I'm pretty happy. I see a lot of regulars like M & J, Mr T-shirt, PJ Pants, Amazing Stretch & Curly Cap, and of course, B who talks my ear off (while I'm resting between benching sets). I can't imagine not stretching after a workout. It's weirdly relaxing although it is strenuous in its own right because it's a combination of dynamic and static stretching. I wave Hi to Mo just coming in as I head off to the locker room. The scale reads 109 lbs, a tad more than yesterday, but it doesn't bother me. My glutes are still sore, as are the backs of my shoulders. This is the type of discomfort that challenges me to move through it. Perhaps I'm just not normal...

Never going to have a 6-pack unless
I drop more body fat but I think
19% is a healthy percentage for now.
I know people wonder how I have so much energy to do this routine every time I come to the gym. B even once asked me if I supplemented, as if it'd be a great big secret. Naw, I tell her. Just the Ensure after I work out so that I've got protein and vitamins in my system when I can make the best use of it. I still only eat oatmeal (with fruit) and coffee for breakfast. I still only drink pure (RO -- reverse osmosis) water during my workouts (none of that horrid pink, purple or blue swill that I see people gulping as if it's going to save their lives). My energy secret is putting on music with a hard fast beat that I like to listen to, over and over again. Remember, back in HS and college, I'm the fool out on the dance floor, dancing with myself. Because I don't care if I'm dancing with anyone else, only that I'm moving to the music, and it feels great.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...