Thursday, January 17, 2013

When Soreness is a Good Thing

Today is Thursday and I'm doing Legs. I spent yesterday shoveling my driveway and then hauling firewood into the house. I don't mean stepping outside my front door and carrying three pieces of wood. I mean dragging a wheelbarrow 20 yards to the wood racks, raking the crusted snow off the tarps, moving cinder blocks and plywood to uncover the rack I want (we have more than one), tossing a good 30 pieces into the wheelbarrow, redoing the tarp and cinder blocks, and plowing the wheelbarrow back to the house through 6 inches of wet snow. Then hauling armfuls up the steps into the house.

I was pretty much done after that. Until I decided to make bolognese sauce for dinner. With ground lamb, crushed canned tomatoes, onions, garlic, bacon, sherry, beef broth, oregano, basil, shredded carrots (which I'm omitting next time) over pasta.

Today, I get up and the back of my shoulders are a wee bit sore. Probably from upping my Seated Rear Inclined DB Raises a mere 2.5 lbs. It's a good soreness. It means progress. My outer pecs are a tad sore too but that might just be from shoveling wet snow yesterday. Today is the last day of antibiotics and since I didn't use any decongestants yesterday, I opt not to use them today to see how I fare.

Today's Total Workout:
35 min hill #6 = 3.86 miles (and I think uh oh, my day is going to suck) but then 35 intervals #7 = 4.23 for a Grand Total = 8.09 miles. Wahoo!
Cage Stretch (I'm wearing shorts so no kicking today)
Thrusters can be done with BB or DB
Smith Machine Squats: 12 @ bar (butt to my heels) / 6 x 12 @ 95 lbs / 15 Thrusters @ bar My husband told me that he's starting doing them in our garage/gym. I should probably do this 1) free standing and not in the Smith 2) with more weight than just the 45 lb bar because when I thrust up, the bar shoots up the tract and it's all I can do to keep hold of it!
The gym is really crowded today and I have to wait for each Leg machine that I want to use so I wander off to do a few pistol squats in front of the mirror next to the Cage Stretch. I wish I'd remembered that I was listening to tunes on my iPhone and could've taken a phone photo 'cuz I think my legs look pretty good (I'd forgotten to charge my iPod and it wasn't giving me tunes this morning).
Seated Leg Curls (I glance at the weight but don't actually check where the pin is, and wind up lifting more than I thought): 15/12/12 @ 105 lbs
Seated Leg Extensions (my right knee was popping a little when I did squats so I'm not surprised when it twinges halfway through my sets): 6 x 12-15 @ 60 lbs
Mat Stretch

The scale reads 107 lbs and I'm good with that. I'm looking forward to doing Chest and Shoulders tomorrow. Maybe I'll try and do a few pull ups as well...



No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...