Thursday, January 31, 2013

How To Refrain from 110% Effort

It's Thursday and the 4th day of my workout routine, which means I'm now repeating my Push Day, ie, Chest, Shoulders and Triceps. I should do something easy so I can recover from my soreness, but it's not in my nature to slack as much as it'd be in my body's best interest. So, even though I want to do 45 minutes, I punch in 30 minutes (plus 5 minutes for the "cool down") and log 4.05 miles. I made the strategic error of racing up to 246 spm (strides per min) at the beginning of the session so that by minute 21 I was having trouble keeping the pace over 190. I did catch my wind though, and manage to finish the last 5 minutes hovering around 200 spm. It felt good, and sweaty.

I've got my new Lands End hoodie on and even though it's been washed, I find flecks of white cotton fluff all over my black workout clothes. Sigh. Today I'll turn in inside out before I wash it. It fits fairly well although I'd like the hood to be a tad bigger, but that's what I get for ordering a Boy's L instead of a Women's XS.

I see B and she appears to be a bit happier than last I saw her. I see a lot of regulars but I'm so focused on my workout that they don't really register as people. Instead, they're more like obstacles to avoid colliding into. At the end of my workout, I spy R and I wander over to say Hi and Howz'it goin? We briefly discuss the SuperBowl before his brother comes over. I note that ZZ has been lurking in the background, staying clear of me, and I'm relieved.

Today's Total Workout:
35 min cardio = 4.05 miles
Smith Bench Press: 12 @ bar / 25 @ 95 lbs / 25 @ 115 lbs / 12 @ 135 lbs / 15 @ 115 lbs / 25 @ 95 (the bar starts to feel really heavy by rep 20 and I have to pace myself to finish the set)
Cage Stretch & Kicks
Front & Lateral & Rear Bent-Over DB Raises: 3 x 12 @ 20 (22.5 lbs for Rear)
Lateral & Rear Bent-Over DB Raises: 3 x 12 @ 20 / 3 x 15 @ 22.5 for Rear
One-Arm Tricep Extensions: 3 x 12 @ 20 lbs
Torso Twist: 2 x 25 @ 50 lbs
Flat Bench Twisting Sit Ups: 100
Lower Ab Kick Outs: 100
Ab Crunch Station: 2 x 50 (feet up on stays) / 2 x 50 (feet flat on ground)
Tricep French Press (I'm dismayed to see that the weighted bars only go to 15 lbs so I grab a 20 lb bar off the racked weight area): 25 @ 15 lbs / 3 x 25 @ 20 lbs (I could go heavier but I'm doing a light workout today, figuring reps will build endurance and perhaps a bit of much needed definition)
Mat Stretch

The locker room scale reads 108.8 lbs but when I get home a few hours later, my scale reads 105.8 so I guess that's consistent. I'm so busy today that I barely have time to post this blog, what with having to turn my son's derby car in at Cub Scouts, then rushing to make tae kwon do, and later, meeting my husband at kickboxing. I'm tired already! And I'm sore and stiff, but there's nothing like exercise to relieve yourself of stiffness and soreness. Only one more day before I can revert to my sluggy self.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...