Thursday, January 10, 2013

Glutton for Punishment

My hips were sore this morning, no doubt from holding a sidekick stretch yesterday. It's not something I normally do, but I've decided to add it to my routine. I'm such a glutton for punishment. I'm still sick, gulping water in the middle of the night because I'm dreaming that I've inhaled dry scratchy breadcrumbs. For breakfast, I wash down an extended-release decongestant with instant Starbucks coffee and bury the antibiotic in my oatmeal.

Bent Over DB Raises
Mindful of not overexerting myself, I peddle a leisurely 35 minutes and log in 3.87 miles. I'm still warm and sweaty so I don't really care. I'm only competing against my ego. My head still feels odd and the dizziness is confirmed as I lay down to bench press. I'm going to do reps again, but I've raised the ante. The only other exercise I'll slide on are sit ups. I still can't do them without feeling like the inside of my head is going to explode.

Today's Total Workout:
35 min cardio = 3.87 miles
Smith Bench Press: 15 @ bar (I spaced out and lost track of the reps) / 25 @ 95 lbs / sets of 25, 23 & 25 reps again @ 115 lbs / 25 @ 95 lbs (I'm not sure how sheer strength and endurance are related but I feel that they are, somehow)
Cage Stretch & Kicks
Front & Lateral DB Raises Superset: 3 x 12 @ 20 lbs
Lateral DB Raises: 3 x 12 @ 20 lbs
Rear Bent-Over DB Raises: 6 x 15 @ 20 lbs (R and his brother are on the only inclined bench and I'm not inclined to drag the only other one all the way across the gym)
One-Arm Tricep DB Extensions: 3 x 12 @ 20 lbs (my left arm goes to failure on rep 11 of the 3rd set and I'm glad I don't clunk myself in the head)
Ab Crunch Station: 2 x 50 upper / 2 x 50 lower
Tricep Press Downs: 12 / 9 / 8 @ 50 lbs (I knew these were going to be hard based on the DB Ext earlier but I didn't really want to do 40 lbs)
Mat Stretch (it's nice to know that even after doing chest and arms, I can still support my body weight in a push up-like manner when I do my stretches, so perhaps I'm not working triceps hard enough?)

The scale reads 108.4 lbs and my throat is so dry that it itches. After I shower, I lay down in the sauna for a good 20 minutes. A girl, fully attired in workout gear, joins me and spends 20 minutes scrolling through her iPod while plugged in. I don't understand this behavior at all.

The home scale reads 106.0 lbs, which is what I was expecting. I see B today and she's shocked that I'm still working out because she was sure that my doc would've told me to stay home and rest. But I'm not running a fever. If anything, I'm cold most of the time. I'm not horribly exhausted, just a bit tired, especially my eyes. Yep, sinus infection! 

I buy Stonyfield BaNilla flavored low-fat yogurt, weighing the sugar content against plain yogurt and deciding that I'd toss a huge spoonful of sugar in the plain yogurt to make it palatable anyway, so better off getting something I'll eat. I've tried the greek-style yogurts that are higher in protein and lower in sugar, and as much as I like them, they don't like me: they always give me a stomach ache. I like the goat milk yogurts too, but that's harder to find.

No kickboxing this week! I'm tired enough not to even think about it, and my husband is traveling every other day this week and next. I'm tired just thinking about how much driving he has to do! But I'll be at the gym tomorrow. Because I'm a glutton for punishment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...