Monday, January 7, 2013

Taking Time Off

It's been suggested that I take some time off to recuperate from what turns out to be a nasty case of sinusitis (again!). But I can't. I spent the entire weekend not doing much of anything except accompanying my son to his classes, and doing a bit of shopping. It's the worse I've felt all week. If anything, that's when my ailment peaked and I felt lethargic and sluggish. I did, however, finish my annual collage since I was pretty much glued to my computer with cups of hot tea and a box of tissues.

I thought briefly about staying home today but I'm so fearful of sliding down that slothful slippery slope, that I just modified my workout a bit to accommodate today's lackluster abilities. At least I'm well-hydrated even if I skipped breakfast this morning (I did have coffee but the thought of eating oatmeal made me queasy). The delt(oid) workout (shoulders) is the only thing I didn't wimp out on today.

Today's Total Workout:
35 min hill #6 = 3.87 miles (beads of sweat don't trickle down my face until minute 25)
Smith machine bench press (instead of pushing heavy today, I modified the reps workout): 12 @ bar / 25 @ 95 lbs / 3 x 20 @ 115 lbs / 25 @ 95 lbs (my head's swimming every time I lay down on the bench which is not at all reassuring when benching heavy so I opted for heavier reps today)
Cage Stretch & Kicks
Front & Lateral DB Raises Superset: 3 x 12 @ 20 lbs
Lateral DB Raises: 3 x 12 @ 20 lbs
Rear Inclined DB Raises: 6 x 15 @ 20 lbs
Tricep DB Extension: 12 @ 20 lbs (I only do one set today)
Torso Twists: 2 x 25 @ 50 lbs (I can't even bear the thought of doing sit ups right now)
Tricep Press Downs: 3 x 12 @ 40 lbs (it doesn't feel much like a workout but I'm tired)
Mat Stretch

"How can you workout if you're sick?" B asks me. "I'd be home in bed!"
I answer, "Actually, I feel better when I work out, and I'm only doing half as much as I usually do." She shakes her head then agrees that everyone's different. No kidding.

It's true -- I do feel better. My sinuses drain and clear, and my core body temperature is up so I feel limber and flexible. All my soreness goes away. But by the time I get to the showers, I'm famished. And the locker room is crowded -- something I didn't miss when my workouts ran longer.

The scale reads 110.4 lbs. I'm not surprised. We ate well this weekend, stopping at UKGourmet in Newtown, Ct to see what lovely Scottish or British treats they carried. I spied haggis in a can. And jarred haggis sauce! What we bought was a jar of English Stilton cheese. Not quite sure what sort of crackers go best with that though. Then we lunched at the Old Heidelberg Restaurant where I tried a yeasty, malty cloudy wheat beer along with Jaegerschnitzel (pounded and breaded pork -- veal costs extra) with a lovely mushroom gravy and sides of sweet red cabbage and spetzel (hand-made noodles). We were too stuffed to even contemplate dessert although we did have a package of Scottish fudge in the car.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...