Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Rescinding a Previous Observation

I realize that I have forgotten to mention the regular gym rats who are making noticeable progress in their goals. Yes, they exist! Most notable is the gal who's steadily lost well over a 100 lbs walking the treadmill. Because her weight loss has slowed in recent months as she nears her goal weight, she's thinking about adding some weight lifting to her routine. She's planning to donate her excess belly skin to a burn unit where they can utilize it.

I saw Mo as well. She's changed her diet in order to kick-start her weight loss goal because at 57, her metabolism ain't what it used to be. She's not as happy because she's restricting her meals, but she's at least feeling less frustrated when she gets on the scale. She says to me with a grin, "Happy is skinny" and I have to agree that I'm real happy with myself these days. But I wouldn't call myself skinny.

B, on other hand, is so frustrated at the crippling pain in her elbow, that she's thinking of cutting her gym time substantially down. "If I do cardio 5 days a week, I'll be skin and bone! I'll lose all the weight I put on!" she complains to me. I nod sympathetically and don't remind her that when she doesn't work out, she gains weight and complains about feeling like a sausage. I have noticed that her arms are losing their tone but I'm not going to say anything.

I feel weak and tired today, and wonder where I am in my menstrual cycle. I'm also feeling a bit plump and bloated so I'm guessing I might actually be fertile (egads, that might be an estrogen spike or something). I get on elliptical #1, pull my hoodie over my eyes and log in 3.88 miles in 35 minutes. Not horrible, but I've definitely done better. I've noticed over the years that I'll feel completely drained a few days before my period, and then right at the actual start, I'll get a supercharged burst of energy and strength. It's contrary to the mythology.

Today's Total Workout:
35 min cardio = 3.88 miles
Seated Cable Rows: 12 @ 90 / 12 @ 105 / 12, 10, 8 @ 120 lbs
Lower Back Extensions: 2 x 25 @ 90 lbs (I'm too lazy to put the 7.5 lb bar on the weight stack)
Cage Stretch & Kicks
Smith Machine Bar Pull Ups (wow, I really suck today): 12 / 8+2 / 6+1
Bent Over Reverse Grip Barbell Rows:
  15 @ 65 / 6 x 15 @ 70 lbs
DB Curls (my right arm feels an unpleasant pop/twang as I curl the DB up so I adjust my arm until I'm doing Hammer Curls instead, and the pop/twang stops): 3 x 12 @ 20 lbs
Ab Crunch Station: 2 x 50 (upper) / 2 x 50 (lower)
Reverse Grip BB Curls: 3 x 20 @ 40 lbs
Torso Twist: 2 x 25 @ 50 lbs
Flat Board Twisting Sit Up:125 (I counted. There's a scab on my tailbone so no Lower Ab Kick Outs today! I'm getting tired of this so I'll have to find another exercise to do instead.)
Mat Stretch

The gym suddenly fills up with school-age kids, both male and female. It's either Winter Break or New Year resolutions suddenly kicking in. I'm glad I'm done and head off to shower. The gym scale tells me I'm still 109.8 lbs like yesterday. My home scale tells me I'm 107.0 lbs and I scan my entries for the last time I weighed in at 107 just to see if all the other readings coincide, and they do. It's reassuring.

There are a lot of regulars at the gym. A lot of them must be just maintaining because they don't seem to vary in their appearance or their routines. I'm not sure I'm capable of doing that. I'm always looking for something to improve, a number to beat. And of course, I'm looking forward to Leg Day when I feel as if I'll have the chance to redeem myself cardio-wise. Not that I'm competing with anyone, except myself. Because, when you get down to it, that's all you have: yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...