Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Two Steps Forward and Three Steps Back

The gym's more crowded than I like but I see a lot of familiar faces so it's not all bad. I'm glad that I'm able to get on an elliptical for my 35 minute cardio warm up. I only log in 3.99 miles but I'm nicely drenched when I'm done, so I feel pretty good regardless. Seated Cable Rows are next and I'm feeling fairly strong with my sets. Then V wanders over and hovers, so between my last heavy sets, I give a quick wave, which he unfortunately assumes is an invitation to chat. Sigh.

It'd be one thing if he actually had something relevant to say, or at least relevant to me (yes, the universe does revolve around me me me!) but instead, he starts up about the local garbage carting politics and I push my head phones further into my ears and wave him off with a whatever gesture. This is not the time or the place for those types of conversation but he hasn't a clue. I quickly pull on my hoodie and head off to the Cage Stretch.

En route, I see B and say Hi. She's gotten to the gym late (for her) and she's all misery and complaints about what exercises she can and can't do. Still, I'm happy to see her and tell her so. My kicks are a tad better than yesterday, and my stretch is loads better. Tomorrow is Leg Day and I expect my stretch to be really good. I'm still working on my splits (during the Mat Stretch) because they're not quite where they should be.

Today's Total Workout:
35 min hill #6 = 3.99 miles
Seated Cable Rows: 12 @ 90 lbs / 12 @ 105 lbs / 3 x 10 @ 120 lbs
Cage Stretch & Kicks
The Smith machine is always busy so I don't get a chance to attempt pull ups until later in my workout. It's pathetic! But at least I tried. And I'll keep trying.
Reverse Grip Bent-Over BB Rows (I ask for and get 6 2.5lb discs to affix to my 60 lb barbell): 15 @ 65 lbs / 15 @ 70 lbs / 4 x 15 @ 75 lbs (next time I'm getting another 5 lbs worth, or I'll have to switch to a different exercise -- the 45 lb Olympic bars are too long for me to handle)
I want to rest my biceps and forearms so I scan the floor for free stations for either lower back or abs and see that the Lower Back Extension is finally vacant.
Lower Back Extension: 25 @ 90 lbs / 25 @ 97.5 lbs
Smith Machine Pull Ups: 11 / 8 / 7 (I suspect my arms and back are fatigued from the Bent Over Rows. Normally I'd do Pull Ups first but I hate standing around so I'm constantly rearranging my exercises depending on what's available)
DB Bicep Curls: 3 x 12 @ 20 lbs (Tall Pace U pulls up next to me -- I've seen him staring from afar. Suddenly, I'm surrounded by a lot of guys doing bicep work, and a lone middle-aged woman in the corner doing tricep kickbacks with those plastic baby bells. I never got anything out of that movement so I don't do them. Once I move to Concentration Curls, this section vacates in a hurry.) 
Concentration Curls: 2 x 12 @ 20 lbs (my forearms are so pumped I can only handle 2 sets today) 
Flat Bench Twisting Sit Ups: about 120
Ab Crunch Machine: 2 x 50 (feet on stays) / 2 x 50 (feet on floor) 
Reverse Grip BB Curls: 3 x 20 @ 40 lbs
Mat Stretch: the mat area is so congested with regulars, including Mr Amazing Stretch and his pal CurlyCap, that I grab a spare mat in the hall next to the yoga class and stretch out there.

The scale reads 110.4 lbs and I'm glad the numbers are moving in the right direction. Once I get home from doing a boatload of errands, the scale reads 106.8 lbs, a reasonable number. The scale also says that my muscle and bone mass are up and body fat is down a tad, but there are such fluctuations in the readings that I don't take any of this too seriously. I look at my arms in the mirror and think they look pretty good. I just can't seem to take any decent photos of myself though. If I could, you'd be certain I'd be submitting them to those women's fitness magazines with the caption, "Hey, this is what over 50 looks like!" And no, I don't have a portrait of Dorian Gray hidden in my closet. I looked at a few magazines while I was in the super market and I thought, well, I'm certainly not a body builder (maybe back in the 80s when women looked like women), and I'm not going to get a boob job to fill out my bikini so I guess I'm just a gym rat. Oh well...

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...