Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Just Can't Stay Away


Last night, I took the generic version of 12-hour extended release cold relief that contains actual pseudoephedrine HCl (and not PE, which is phenlyephrine HCl). And I started a 10-day course of cephalosporin antibiotic. (Now I have to get yogurt.) When I awoke this morning, I could blow my nose and not suffer from painfully disabling ear and sinus congestion. I'm still sick but much more functional. The decongestant makes me antsy so I go to the gym, but first I have a cup of coffee and a bowl of oatmeal.

I do wonder how much my drinking instant Ginseng tea has improved my blood pressure. My sister tells me that she can't drink it because it makes her blood pressure so low that she actually faints. My dad use to enjoy drinking this and I have several boxes of it at home. Nothing on the internet can give me a definitive answer. All I know is that it's considered an adaptogen, which enables the body to adapt to stresses more easily.

I tell myself that I'm going to just do some cardio and then stretch because I know from experience, that my stretch is the first thing I lose if I'm inactive. I get on the elliptical and punch in 30 minutes. Including the 5 minutes cool-down, I log 3.93 miles and I feel pretty good. So I punch in 30 minutes of intervals and get an additional 4.12 miles. I'm sweaty, my nose is running and I feel really good. So maybe I'll toss in a few squats. Couldn't hurt.

Smith Squat
Because I'm wearing running shorts today (it promises to be a balmy 50°F this afternoon), I do an abbreviated Cage Stretch without any kicks. I can do kicks tomorrow. Today's suppose to be an easy day after all. The Smith machine is empty and I've read on nerdfitness.com why using the Smith machine is bad for you, but let's face it, if it's a choice between using the Smith or not doing the exercise at all, well, I'd have to choose the Smith. I am, however, toying with the idea of eventually doing Squats in the Squat Rack, but I have to see how my neck and shoulders feel about that. Being small and having very small, delicate joints is one reason to use assistance like a Smith machine.

Today's Total Workout:
35 min hill #6 = 3.93 miles + 35 min intervals #7 = 4.12 miles
   Grand Total = 8.05 miles (Wahoo!)
Cage Stretch (mostly hamstrings stretches and calf dips)
Smith machine squats: 12 @ bar (butt down to my heels) / 6 x 12 @ 95 lbs / 12 @ bar (butt to heels)
Seated Leg Curls: 3 x 15 @ 90 lbs
Seated Leg Extensions: 6 x 15 @ 60 lbs (during the 2nd set, the outside of my right knee starts to twinge and I immediately readjust my leg position to avoid any further injury)
Torso Twist machine: 2 x 25 @ 50 lbs (I feel vaguely guilty not doing more abs)
Mat Stretch

Seated Leg Curl & muscles affected
The scale reads a surprising 107.4 lbs. I haven't emptied my water bottle but I'm drenched from the cardio workout. After I shower, I decide to spend 15 minutes in the sauna, and then I need to shower again! The sauna feels good and I make sure that I'm sitting upright -- don't want to relax too much and fall asleep! While I'm in there, I can overhear all the ladies in the locker room debating their workout and diet regimes. I'm glad I'm cloistered in the sauna where I can't offer my opinion about all the malarkey I'm hearing.

Seated Leg Extension
Too many women believe that they have to be completely recovered from any soreness before exercising again. No wonder they don't make any progress. They also believe all the hype about drinking crap like VitaminWater® or Gatorade® to keep hydrated, when all they really need is water. They're not exercising hard enough to need additional protein supplements. They're not sweating enough to require electrolyte replenishment. All this stuff is just making them fat. There are a lot of fat people at the gym. I'm afraid very few are making much progress although they seem to come regularly. Of course, I'm not sure what their goals are, either.

To her credit, the gal who teaches the Boot Camp class kept advising them that they didn't need any of that stuff, that it was just a lot of extra calories. Some women really want to believe that eating and drinking supplements will make up for hard work. They just can't make themselves work out hard, and I'm not sure if it's because they don't know how, or if they're afraid, or if it's just not ladylike. And yet, I know they look at me enviously. But they don't see me lifting 5 lb weights and spending hours chatting on the treadmill. I work out hard. Even when I'm sick. Because I like the results, and it just feels too good to pass up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...