Monday, January 21, 2013

Holidays Are Anything But

There's no school today although my husband did have to go to work. I let my son sleep in and got him dressed to come with me to the gym when he awoke. He got so excited over the prospects of No School! that he spilled an entire cup of milk. Not just spilled it but knocked it off the table by swinging his pajama top over his head is a wild imitation of a cowboy's lariat. Needless to say, we were late getting to the gym and the parking lot was so crowded I was hoping someone was handing out gold bars. Yet the child care room was completely vacant. My son is grounded until Saturday because what little boy wants to spend his birthday grounded? But no TV and no iPad games until then. I wasn't sure what kind of workout I was going to have today.

landsend hoodie
I got on the elliptical and pedaled furiously for 35 minutes but was only able to log in 3.95 miles. My right calf seems oddly sore and stiff. I'm wearing a hoodie that I dug out of the dresser. It's a cotton zip-front, but the hood is a tad small and doesn't shield my eyes from the glaring lights overhead when I do cardio. I don't like it much but the zipper pull flew off my gray hoodie last week so it's at the tailor shop (again), and the royal blue hoodie is as good as a pullover now because the zipper appears to be permanently stuck about 1/4 way up the tract. BTW, my tailor tells me that I should always launder my stuff with the zippers closed. I gotta buy new hoodies (sigh).

Today's Total Workout:
35 min elliptical hill #6 = 3.95 miles
Smith Bench Press for Reps: 12 @ bar (45) / 25 @ 95 lbs / 25, 20, 15 @ 115 lbs / 25 @ 95 lbs
Cage Stretch & Kicks
Shoulders: Front & Lateral & Rear Seated Inclined DB Raises: 3 x 12 @ 20 / 22.5 lbs
Lateral & Rear DB Raises: 3 x 12-15 @ 20 / 22.5 lbs (sets of 15 reps with 22.5 lbs on Rear Raises only)
DB Tricep Extension: 12 @ 20 lbs (saving myself & time for Tricep Press Downs later)
Ab Crunch Station: 2 x 50 (legs in stays) / 2 x 50 (legs on ground)
Flat Bench Twisting Sit Ups: 125 (I counted, and I'm not getting dizzy doing it! Yay!)
Lower Ab Kick Outs: 100 (and I feel the familiar rug burn start right where my underwear tag is)
Tricep Press Down: 12/10/8 @ 50 lbs
Mat Stretch

I had oatmeal and coffee for breakfast this morning, but I'm feeling as if yesterday's noshing had a greater negative impact on my workout today. We didn't actually sit down and eat a meal. We noshed on various Chinese snacks like steamed meatball buns, melon pies and taro cookies. The scale reads 109.8 lbs at the gym and I don't have time to double check with my home scale.

I saw B briefly as she made her rounds before leaving. She's still grumpy and talking about not bothering to come to the gym because it's just not worth coming 5 days a week if she can't do anything except legs. I don't know what kind of chiropractor she has but I disagree with him telling her not to use the tennis elbow brace. Instead, she's wearing wrist braces but I don't really think that's going to help her.

I see a few other regulars like M, R and Hairy Shoulders but the gym is so crowded with the holiday crowd that I don't speak to anyone until I get back into the locker room. Ladies there are comparing notes about horrible drivers they've been encountering who don't understand concepts like Right of Way. I don't see ZZ today and I'm glad. But while getting in my car with my son at the local Kmart, I notice a mustached fellow in a dark SUV, parked oddly with his window down, staring. I notice him again when we go to the supermarket because he doesn't exit the parking lot in a normal fashion, but pulls around to the side of the supermarket as if to back in, then pulls out to exit out the side. It's very disturbing behavior. I grew up in NYC so maybe I'm a tad paranoid. But these are "interesting" times and holidays are anything but relaxing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...