Wednesday, January 2, 2013

A New Year but Not a New Body

It was so cold this morning that I drove my son to the bus stop instead of us walking down the hill. I think 13°F is too cold for children to stand at the bus stop although I did take the dog for his walk this morning. Which meant I got to the gym early and all the Precors were vacant. Unfortunately, my favorite machine #3 kept reading Key Depressed no matter how often I rebooted it, so I used machine #1. It's a bit harder to pedal, but at least it doesn't thump like you fell into a pothole every other step.

Smith machine Squats
I didn't make my 8 mile quota either. But I did get warm and sweaty, and the Smith Squats felt pretty good. But the Dead Lifts still feel awful (I'll be so embarrassed when I actually do throw up on my feet) and I only did 4 sets before wandering off to the Cage Stretch area. Eventually I made my way back to do Seated Leg Curls, and Leg Extensions. The latter are starting to feel easy and the former feel harder. Not sure why.

The Dead Lift I don't do
The Mat stretch felt good today but it's unnerving to look up and see MrPJPants sitting across the gym staring. Bleah! I avoid him like the proverbial plague. I think he's creepy although I'm sure B would say that he's just a nice old man. That's what she says about all the old and middle-age guys. All the other guys she says "Oh that nice looking fellow". And I'm always saying "What nice looking fellow?" because none of them seem particularly nice looking to me. Maybe I'm just picky.

The gym's not horribly crowded but people sign up every January and for a few weeks the gym'll be really packed with all those New Year resolutions. Then by March, everything settles down, most new people disappear, and perhaps there are some new regular people.

Today's Total Workout:
35 min hill #6 = 3.86 miles (bleah) + 35 min intervals #7 = 4.02 Grand Total = 7.88 miles
Smith Squats: 12 @ bar / 6 x 12 @ 95 lbs
Smith Dead Lifts (bar up to chest, not hips): 12 @ bar / 4 x 12 @ 95 lbs
Cage Stretch & Kicks
Flat Bench Twisting Sit Ups (because all the leg machines are occupied): 150
Lower Ab Kick Outs (bleah, MrPJP is sitting in front of me but I ignore him & everyone else): 125
Seated Leg Extensions: 6 x 15 @ 60 lbs (I don't want to up the weight on this!)
Seated Leg Curls: 3 x 15 @ 90 lbs
Mat Stretch

Bob's New Year Beef Wellington
The scale reads 108.4 lbs and I'm pleasantly surprised because yesterday we visited friends, drank red wine, ate boiled shrimp with cocktail sauce, scallops wrapped in bacon, and a wonderful Beef Wellington with sides of roasted potatoes and brussel sprouts, followed by fudge brownies and coffee. I've never had Beef Wellington before, but this was absolutely delicious!

My head still swims intermittently with mild vertigo but it doesn't feel as awful as yesterday. I've been swigging orange juice with zinc tablets in an attempt to fight off my presumed sinus infection. I hope it works because I'm getting tired of waiting for my head to settle while I do twisting sit ups or other bouncy exercises. I won't lie to you: my body hurts all over, and not just after I work out, but when I wake up in the morning as well. But I've become so used to it that I find it reassuring in an odd muscle-head way. Yep, must'a been a good workout because damn I'm sore today. But not so sore that I can't work out again tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...