Monday, January 31, 2022

Frosty Monday

We emerged rather unscathed by Nor'easter Kenan, unlike more northerly coastal areas like Boston (17 inches) and Cape Cod (underwater and then frozen). Still there was shoveling, and frigid temperatures. The cold is amazingly enervating. I get to the gym with the car thermometer dropping from 5 to 3.

I hate chatty people at the gym. Loud Mouth on the bike in front of the elliptical I'm on asks me to put the plug back in the socket. What? The plug he thinks I kicked out by stepping on. I glance at the floor and the plug's grounding prong has broken off in the socket. I tell him it's not grounded, never mind that I didn't kick the plug out. Middle-age regular calls out from two ellipticals over that he kicked the plug out. Oops sorry. Loud Mouth sticks the broken plug into the second outlet in the box. Seriously, whoever designed this cardio platform should be shot: outlets should be inset so that people don't step on and break the plugs. Since the outlets are inches from each machine, the chances are 100% that they're gonna get stepped on.

All in all, a good workout. And again, the Step Mill is exhausting, even for just 10 minutes. Because it remained at 52 steps per minute for several minutes, I thought it would be easier, but it suddenly sped up to 60 for the last few minutes. I have a follow-up appointment with my glaucoma doc to review my last Visual Field exam. I'm also worried about my pressures because I've been scarfing ibuprofens, acetaminophens, and gabapentins depending on how much my sciatica hurts before I go to sleep. Anti-inflammatories can raise eye pressures. 

The doc is running late so my appointment takes much longer than anticipated. Her office handles emergencies from the local hospital, and I imagine it's ocular emergencies. My IOPs are up slightly at 14 and 15, but not horrible. The exam shows I still have 20/20 vision although my right eye lags in focusing. And the VF shows that both eyes are either the same or better than the tests from 2019. But the right eye has a 20% positive error rate, which means I'm clicking as if I'm seeing flashes where there are none. So I have to take a new exam for just that eye in 3 months.

The bigger issue is trying to lose the 5 lbs that I seem to have gained in the past quarter. So now I actually need to lose 10 lbs to fit into my good clothes. Ugh. 

31 January 2021
Frigid Monday

Precor elliptical
Program 2
Time: 30 min + 5 min cd (5702)
Distance: 2.87
Cal: 321
HR: 202-150, 83, 88

HGPU 19

Crunches 60
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
60 Dead Bugs
Elbow Plank 60s
Quick Child’s Pose
Cat stretch 12x
Fire Hydrants 25 x 2
Bird Dogs 60s x 2
Child’s Pose
Push-Ups 25
Air Squats 25
Mild Mat stretch w 3 Eye Yoga

HGPU 18

Matrix StepMill
Manual 10:14 min
Speed 6 (52-60)
Step 553
Floors 34
Calories 80
HR: 125
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...