Monday, January 3, 2022

Fat and Fatter

Well, I'm ringing in the New Year substantially fatter than I was last year. I seem to be gaining 3 lbs over each weekend and only able to lose 2 of it during the week so most of it is probably water due to salty foods. But that leaves a net gain of 1 lb a week and give that a month or two and it's a problem! I didn't make any new resolutions but I am determined to get closer to my ideal weight which is around 110 lbs. Right now I'm almost 10 lbs over! And it shows in my face and through clothes that are just too tight to be comfortable. Ugh.

Winter is finally here and the temps are dropping fast. Predawn saw me warming the car up at 27F. Eight hours later and temps have dropped to 21 and promise to coast to 15 tonight. Tomorrow is not going to be any fun. But at least we missed the snowstorm that's dumping the white stuff further south. Dogs don't care. Even in icy weather they want to romp in the park. Today was no different although we pretty much had the place to ourselves.

And the gym was back to "normal" with very few members when I arrived at 6:50 this morning. It was substantially more crowded when I left at 9:30. I got on the first elliptical and did my cardio with a twingey inner left knee. I'm fairly certain it's the sartorius muscle so I'm not surprised when the front hip hinge on the left also twinges. However, I'm not unhappy with my mileage or with the subsequent pull-ups.

Since I'm doing pull-ups today, I figure it's best to pair that bicep and back exercise with triceps work aka Rip Skulls. The breaker bench is vacant and that makes me happy. After a warm-up set, I stick two magnetic discs to the ends of the solid barbell and do another 3 sets. The discs are 2.5 lbs apiece and the solid barbells jump in 10 lb increments. The heavier weight does bother my left elbow a bit so I cut back on reps. Done!

My husband got me a new phone for Christmas. It's been a long time since I had a latest model and not a hand-me-down (although truthfully, hand-me-downs have never bothered me). I've had to learn how to use the phone all over again because things like thumbprint ID are gone and replace with facial recognition. I'm not sure I like that but my only other choice is to leave my phone unlocked (uh, nope) or to constantly input a numeric code (which I did for a week). That gets old when you're constantly accessing your phone (like inputting data during a workout). And the battery life is much improved so I can probably stop bringing a spare with me in the gear bag (although I do use it for the ancient iPod that streams my tunes).


What I'm more interested in is the camera because there appear to be 3 lenses on the back side of the phone. The filters are now another level down from lighting which is accessed in the Portrait mode. And there's f-stop control! I'm still learning what all these functions do and it's very exciting, but time-consuming. Meanwhile, I have a dermatologist appointment in an hour to see if this rash below my hip is something to be concerned about. I got it last winter as well and it doesn't seem to respond to anything except the drop in temperature which makes it worse. 

Winter's just begun and the rash is the size of my hand, at least on the left side. On the right, it's about 2 fingers big. I don't want it to take over my entire leg as it gets blistery and painful! It also doesn't behave or look like a typical "cold temperature rash" aka cold uticaria (yes, I looked it up just to see if I was being an alarmist). It's the doctor's office that had me alarmed, moving my appointment from February to today, because it's a growing rash. Hmmmm... (My sciatica is still bothering me so that's not helping either.)

Meanwhile, more news that we all already knew but now science can say that it's true: exercise helps prolong your life even if it doesn't help you lose weight. Click here

3 January 2021
Arctic Monday & Sciatica

Precor elliptical
Program 1
Time: 30 min + 5 min cd (5584)
Distance: 2.84
Cal: 315
HR: 130, 144-175

HGPU 15

Crunches 60
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
60 Dead Bugs
Elbow Plank 60s
Quick Child’s Pose
Cat stretch 12x
Fire Hydrants 25 x 2
Bird Dogs 60s x 2
Child’s Pose
Push-Ups 25
Air Squats 25
Mild Mat stretch w 3 Eye Yoga

HGPU 14

RipSkulls
30 lbs x 15
35 x 15, 13, 12

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...